smaller bottling bucket wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorterGlenn

Reaction score
So I have recently brewed 6 growler sized batches and am going to bottle them soon. I would like a smaller bottling bucket as the width of min (5 gal ale pale, with spigot about and inch up from bottom) I feel like there will be a lot of tipping the bucket and getting the sludge at the bottom all turned up and I would rather not bottle that.

Do they make any kind of bucket that has a “V” shape at the bottom that will catch the sludge that sinks to the bottom, but have a much smaller width so I won’t be losing as much beer below the spigot on the bottling bucket?

What would this even be called? Do they sell them in 1 or 3 gal sizes, I guess also a 5 gal size however I mostly brew in 2.5 gal batches so I am not as interested in a 5 gal. Also is there a DIY thread, I can search myself but am not sure what this would be called?

Do they make something that looks like this, for bottling? I have seen fermentors like this but bottling buckets? -- The light brown is the beer, the red is the spigot, and the dark brown is the sludge...

beer pic.jpeg

I'm not sure about the conical design, but I know some people who buy the Mr. Beer fermenter kegs and use those as bottling buckets for smaller batches. They're 2.5 gals & are only $10.

The guy I know racks into them, batch primes & bottles all in one go.

I did a lot of gallon sized batches of wine last summer to experiment, and I plan on doing the same this summer. What I did was I took a 2 gallon primary (any 2 gallon food grade bucket would work) and a spigot for a bottling bucket, drilled a hole in the new bucket and installed the spigot. Now I can get through most of a gallon batch without tipping the bucket onto its side.

I got mine from smallbatchhomebrew.com but it looks like it is offline (2 gallon bucket with spigot)

Get a threaded CPVC elbow. It will thread right onto the spigot threads. Determine how high to drill a hole in the size bucket you want so that the elbow is about 1/16 inch off the bottom. It will leave less than 1/4 bottle. Siphon carefully and you should have no problem with trub.

I like the 2 gal food grade bucket idea, Ill have to check if they make 3 gal ones. I am sure I can find one somewhere.

Get a threaded CPVC elbow. It will thread right onto the spigot threads. Determine how high to drill a hole in the size bucket you want so that the elbow is about 1/16 inch off the bottom. It will leave less than 1/4 bottle. Siphon carefully and you should have no problem with trub.

Just make a dip tube for your bottling bucket. I have nearly zero waste when I bottle.

this is what I do. as long as you keep the output of the bottling wand below the level of the dip tube, the dip tube will pick up what's below the level of the spigot

it works because physics and stuff

Check out "BrewDemon". I think Mr.Beer sold the company to them,or is like a division of them or something. It looks like a nice little design.I think its exactly what you what. Its a fermenter/bottle bucket. I did a batch in my bottleing bucket,you just need carb tabs for the bottles. Unless you just rack to another bottleing bucket with priming sugar in it.

Back