Small UK brewery being pursued by Red Bull in entirely spurious lawsuit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmcstuff

Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-23697138

Apparently Red Bull think "Redwell" (named after Redwell Street in Norwich) sounds too similar to their trademark and that people might be somehow confused.

Disgusting from Red Bull IMO. They're essentially trying to claim that a 2-syllable name with "Red" at the start is not allowed for anyone making any sort of drinks. They don't even compete in the same market.

i hate when big companies pull crap like this. if i am a consumer of the biggun's product, i tend to stop being a consumer after stunts like this. glad i dont drink redbull

It's amazing that there's even a market for these drinks that taste like hairspray. and whoever came up with the jager bomb needs... help

Jager bombs?

jager-bombs.jpg

I can understand that you don't build a global brand so quickly without protecting your copyrights and trademarks vociferously, but even in light of that, this case is just a pile of bull ( regardless of the colour!)

About time! I can't count the number of times I went to the store to buy some beer and ALMOST bought some RED BULL! This will put an end to that.

What would be really cool is if all the businesses in the chamber of commerce followed the Harrodsville example of the 80's and changed their names temporarily in solidarity. That saw off Al Fayed I recall.

Ridiculous!
I drank one of those nasty things once. Besides tasting like crap, I thought I was gonna die. My chest was pounding and my hands were shaking. I will never drink another "energy drink" again. Good ole coffee for me, thank you.

Seeing as much of their consumer base IS actually too stupid to realize the difference...not very surprising, maybe they had too many jacked-up thirteen year olds concerned because they were gettin carded.

That last article makes it pretty suspicious. Let's see the original letter. Let's see the trademark application.

That last article makes it pretty suspicious. Let's see the original letter. Let's see the trademark application.

Why is it suspicious?

Sounds to me like a case of Red Bull simply flagging up any trademark applications for drinks with a name similar to theirs, then firing off a letter without checking into it properly.

I've certainly seen plenty of energy drinks in the UK that are trying to make themselves look as similar as possible to Red Bull, so it's not really surprising they're sensitive about it. They just need to do a proper sense check before sending out threatening letters. And with all the negative publicity it's best to just back down quickly.

I hope Redwell secured the same assurance that Red Bull will stay out of brewing, not because of infringement to Redwell's trademark but because it would taste bloody awful if they did!

BeerGrylls said:
Maybe they thought that if someone ordered a 'redbull' in a very loud bar, they may get a 'redwell' by accident

At which point they would consider themselves the luckiest person in the bar, and should pause to reflect for the poor sod that got the other end of that mix up.

bob,
Here is what I find suspicious. The first two articles have sprinklings of quotes from the letter. Where's the rest of it? Has it been taken out of context? Read the quote from Redwell's attorney, "We've managed to negotiate a possible settlement which is now on the table, so it's a good commercial solution for both parties.

"Red Bull know that Redwell won't venture into their markets and Redwell will be able to use their trademarks without fear of further legal action."

"Settlement" "commercial solution" "won't venture into their markets...."

Then read the quote from Redbull, "Red Bull has long been willing to allow Redwell to maintain its mark for beer so long as they do not use it for energy drinks."

It sounds to me that there was some vagueness on Redwell's intent somewhere along the line. But just like everyone, I'm speculating. I just happen to be speculating from the wrong side as it were.

So, this changes nothing about my opinion of Redbull. The only fact presented was that Redbull sent a letter to another company reiterating it's trademark.

Here's a scenario:

Dear Bob,
It has come to our attention that you have filed a trademark application for "McStuff." You should be aware that McXYZ is trademarked by us. We're happy to see that you are presently marketing weigh loss/fitness supplements using this name. Should you venture into the fast food industry, we will have no choice but to take legal action against you for trademark infringement.
Love,
McDonalds Inc.

Media report: Bob Mcstuff received a mean-spirited letter from a big, evil corporation that makes a ****-ton of money so they must be picking on him. In part it says, "We will ... take legal action against you for trademark infringement."

Like I said, let's see that letter. Redwell had no reservations about making parts of it public. They could very well have a master spin-doctor or someone inspired that used this as some really great "free" publicity. I'd' never heard of them and likely never would have. If I had by chance heard/read their name it is highly likely I would not have remembered them without the drama and the tie in to Redbull's name.

Now, who's going to be the first dick to mix Redwell and Redbull, give it a name and claim it tastes good? I vote to call it "The Dr. Evil." or "The Well (b)red Bull." Heck, why not make it a red and tan?

I hear you dgr, but to what ends? If RedBull was merely making sure that Redwell didnt venture into energy drink territory, wouldnt Redwell be kind of dumb to pick a fight with a company that is much larger? If this was the case, Redwell would need some other agenda, and what could that possibly be? Were they perhaps just looking for a little publicity at Redbull's expense?... If so, I think it was a ploy with lots of potential downside and limited upside (we will all forget about this in a year if Redwell isnt an amazing beer or gets killer PR.)

I also hear you, but I think it would be incredibly stupid to the point of insanity for a tiny local brewery (started by 4 homebrewing friends) to go up against a major multinational like red bull like that if it wasn't true - they'd just get their lawyers in and that would be that.

They do already make beer, about 5000 pints a week (20-odd imperial barrels if my googling is right) - I had a pint of their IPA past time I was down in London, it was OK. Not mind blowing, but tasty nonetheless.

Back