Small nitro brew setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

testacct2123

Reaction score
Trying to find some gear recommendations for a portable nitro keg. So I can cold brew at home, fill up the keg and take it with me and tap it over the course of the day.

Any ideas?

I have a couple and friends that have the growlerwerks beer growlers too with no issues. Can’t speak to anecdotal evidence of others, but I typically chalk it up to improper maintenance.

Anyway, the link above is to a nitro product that allows cold brewing in the growler as well, though it is in Kickstarter phase at the moment, so not yet on offer.

I have a couple and friends that have the growlerwerks beer growlers too with no issues. Can’t speak to anecdotal evidence of others, but I typically chalk it up to improper maintenance.

Anyway, the link above is to a nitro product that allows cold brewing in the growler as well, though it is in Kickstarter phase at the moment, so not yet on offer.

Ah, I mixed it up with the one that is already out. Which is probably used for beer.
https://www.amazon.com/uKeg-128-Pre...&pd_rd_r=7bec823b-ea52-4939-a931-0a58bec653b6

Do you have a way to keep it refrigerated during the day, or does it need to be insulated?

I use a mini keg with ball lock tapping head if I can keep it chilled or refrigerated. If I have lots of space I just use a 1.75 gal corny in ice or a fridge. I use a TrailKeg if I need it to be insulated.

Dispense with a stout spout on a ball lock disconnect with an adapter.

I haven't been able to find threaded nitrogen cartridges where I am, so I usually fill it with already nitrogenated cold brew, leave plenty of space, and overpressure the keg. You could play with headspace and pressure levels to find the sweet spot of not too much gas, but still enough to dispense the entire amount properly.
If more needs to be dispensed, and you don't have a mini nitrogen regulator or cartridges, you can use another keg with a jumper as extra headspace, potentially with a check valve and/or in line regulator.

Back