Small n Automated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
Due to a cowardly desire to remain on good terms with my liver and because I enjoy the activity of brewing I've been reducing the size of my brewery.

Currently I have a 20 - 30 litre recirculating Biab and a 10 - 12 litre GF Clone the bigger of the two is too big it takes months to work through that much.

Do you know of any small 5 litre/1galon automated builds? If so I'd really appreciate it if you could link to the individual posts.

The 1 galon thread is over 500 pages long I'll never find stuff in that with out help, and I've had no luck with the "search this thread" function.

Thanks. All. Aamcle

I would do a 2 gallon kettle. Do a ball valve on the bottom, a temp probe, and a recirculation port on the top (or through the lid). Use a BIAB bag or basket, your preference. For the pump, I would use one of those food safe 12v pumps.

Use a 1300w hot plate and a basic controller. You could even use a Johnson type controller, if you didnt want to build anything. That is basically it. You could do this with about $200 worth of off the shelf parts, including the hot plate, controller, kettle, and valve, and pump. Less if you shop around or do some building yourself.

I would do a 2 gallon kettle. Do a ball valve on the bottom, a temp probe, and a recirculation port on the top (or through the lid). Use a BIAB bag or basket, your preference. For the pump, I would use one of those food safe 12v pumps.

Use a 1300w hot plate and a basic controller. You could even use a Johnson type controller, if you didnt want to build anything. That is basically it. You could do this with about $200 worth of off the shelf parts, including the hot plate, controller, kettle, and valve, and pump. Less if you shop around or do some building yourself.

If I were to do a small batch BIAB system (for my liver's sake as well!), I'd go with a 10 qt tri-ply kettle and a 120V induction cooktop such as:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TUE8XOM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The only issue would be how to control temps automatically, but I think an induction cooktop would get you to strike and boil temps quicker than using a standard resistive hot plate. Add one of Brewhardware.com's ball valve/weldless bulkhead combos with cam locks to connect to a small 12V pump, and you'd be set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 19 litre urn that I use for recirculating biab with a PID/PT100. Although the temperature is controlled that's it there is no more automation.

I think I remember seeing a 3V 1 gallon setup that was fully automated, mash in and that's it until its ready to go into the FV.

Sadly I absolutely can not remember were I saw it.

Aamcle

Latest posts

Back