Small kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
For a number of reasons, limited space being the biggest, I'd really like a couple smaller kegs - 2.5 gallon or smaller. The problem, of course, is that smaller kegs are about twice the price (new) of 5-gallon kegs (used). That's a tough pill to swallow. A 6 liter keg on Amazon is $70 right now. Are there any "deals" to be had out there on the internets?

There were a lot fewer of them made for soda back in the day, so the market is not as saturated with them. I spent a couple of years looking in the Chicago area and eventually picked up two 2.5 or 3g pin locks as part of a package deal. Keep an eye on Craigslist, OfferUp, LetGo, and Facebook marketplace is really all you can do.

I have not had the best of luck with those small mini-kegs with the screw-on tops, almost every filling has been oxidized. I think only 2 out of maybe 8 to 10 filling where not oxidized. These were filled and allow to condition for a month or more. Even after a couple weeks they start to show signs of oxidation. Still playing with them but have pretty much going to used them as growlers for short term storage and to shake carb a quick sample. I think the issue is the o-ring seal in the screw on tops to the keg interface don't seal properly.

I have not had that issue with the cannon ball type 1.75gal and 3 gal kegs. I recently bought a 2.5 and 1.75 torpedo keg but have not filled them yet. I don't expect any issues with the torpedo kegs.

I know what you mean about expensive. I paid £70 for a second hand one that developed a hole and is now useless. I can fit an extra small kegs on top of my regular 5 gallon kegs so they are very handy but hard to get hold of.

Yeah, they are more money. The reason is that they are getting harder and harder to find. I recently scarfed up a couple 3 gal ones on Facebook marketplace locally, $20 a piece. They do come up for sale time to time.

Yeah, they are more money. The reason is that they are getting harder and harder to find. I recently scarfed up a couple 3 gal ones on Facebook marketplace locally, $20 a piece. They do come up for sale time to time.

True.

Can't believe how lucky I was 12 or 15 years ago when I happened upon 4 pristine Cornelius brand 2.5 gal ones at my LHBS that a club member was getting rid of for $75 for the lot. I didn't want all four but it was a package deal, so I got all 4. They're still shiny and new looking and have never leaked despite numerous road trips and tailgates. Can't say the same for for my mini-Torpedo kegs, but at least they stack while they leak.

Brooo Brother

I'm new on the HomeBrewTalk forum and have been researching to find out if anyone tried this product from NutriChef? I'm seriously considering getting one for small batch brewing/carbonating but would love some user feedback before spending the $140+:
Pressurized Beer Mini Keg Growler PKBRTP110

I'm new on the HomeBrewTalk forum and have been researching to find out if anyone tried this product from NutriChef? I'm seriously considering getting one for small batch brewing/carbonating but would love some user feedback before spending the $140+:

That would work.

Consider checking at AliExpress.com, (also on Amazon) you'll find that and several options for a bit cheaper, or if you want bling, consider a uKeg. If it doesn't have a flow control faucet, you will likely have foaming issues.

That looks to have the screw on lids, I would not buy one of those unless you plan to use it as a growler. I have had bad luck with similar kegs with anything that was in there for over a couple weeks.

Dr. Jeff's comments have me more interested in the uKeg (128oz) now. I have 3 gallons of a London Kriek Porter sitting in a 6.5 g secondary wide-mouth carboy, conditioning away, but don't want to leave it in there too long with all that additional air-space so I'd like to get a mini-keg for some of it and quickly get the rest bottled. Another gallon of it is doing the boubon-oak thing in a separate glass dispenser. Getting anxious but patience must prevail! :rock:

Based on user's reviews, i guess the uKeg is difficult to clean. I'm going to do more thorough research, but will probably spend the extra money and go with the mini Keg I posted about earlier as they've made a few improvements to that specific model over previous versions. I don't know if other mini keg systems can do this, but the NutriChef 110 model above can be stored pressurized without the regulator on top for like 3 months, though no one should leave beer so lonely for that much time. https://www.amazon.com/NutriChef-PKBRTP110-Growler-Detachable-Aluminum-Regulator/dp/B081B5Y5TX

Back