Small gauge on the Inside of a kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
I got a new 10 gal kettle in today. As I was looking it over I noticed 3 marks about 1 1/2 inch from the top. I rubbed my hand across them, then I rubbed my short finger nail across them. My nail did snag. It’s not deep, but it’s a gauge. My concern is will this creat an issue with my brew? I hear a lot if things about bacteria and it has me concerned, or am I over paranoid.

I wouldn't worry about it. Its in a kettle and I assume the kettle is for boiling. This means the boil/steam should eliminate everything you're concerned about.

No, you're not paranoid, they really ARE out to get you! [emoji21]

If this is your boil kettle, it's just not an issue. Nothing will survive the heat. You can easily smooth it out, though. Use a Dremel tool or just sandpaper, then rub hard with Barkeepers Friend. The bare metal will passivate itself in a short time, ask anybody who welds the stuff. Good luck!

Back