Small Engine Guys...My Mower Just Died!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started it and came in to let it warm up and get a beer. It was running for a few minutes...then I heard a weird sound and it died. It's a Craftsman w/ Briggs engine.

Now if I hit the starter, there seems to be no compression. It spins real easy like.

I've taken pretty good care of this engine. Oil changes, filters, valve adjustments...WTF?

This seems serious to me. Running and then no compression...piston rod?

My grass is growing as you read this...I need help!!!!:)

Pull the spark plug and turn it over with your finger pushed in the hole. Do you feel compression? You can insert a wire into the spark plug hole and turn the motor over by hand and see if the piston is traveling in the cylinder.

I worked at a Mower shop once upon a time.

Odds are good you didn't break a rod

My view always was Look at the mower ask yourself what would I pay for this at a yardsale/auction etc. Forgetting what you know about how well it has been cared for. Use this number to determine how much you want to spend on it. As for checking it out.

remove spark plug lead
Tip mower on its side, carb side up. Enough you can see under it.
Have someone pull it thru or engage the starter
watch the bolt that holds the blade on, if it wobbles the crankshaft is bent and the mower is junk -- cost to repair will exceed the value of the mower

If ok

check sparkplug to be sure it is tight
check head bolts to be sure they are all tight you should be able to get a feel without a torque wrench.

Check for spark,
remove the plug, plug it into the lead, touch the plug to the head and pull thru to see if you have spark.

Next, place your thumb over the spark plug hole and pull thru. It should blow your thumb off the hole indicating you have compression

Beyond that it is probably a flywheel key, which times the engine.

remove top cover
remove the rope starter cover
remove the large nut holding the flywheel on
get 2 prybars and remove the flywheel.
replace the $.69 key with a new one
reassemble

If you need any parts at a mower shop you will need the make model and serial number of the mower and the engine.

Mower info should be on a sticker usually on the back of the mower
the engine info is generally on the top cover of the engine. on the front stamped in or over the muffler stamped on a plate.

Partstree.com is where many mower places get their parts, if they are not a Briggs repair shop. you can buy there to for the same price.

Pull the spark plug and turn it over with your finger pushed in the hole. Do you feel compression? You can insert a wire into the spark plug hole and turn the motor over by hand and see if the piston is traveling in the cylinder.

I will check that tomorrow (thanks for the advice). It's too dark now.

The oil is super F'n low and black. Smoke came out when I pulled the dipstick. I just topped it up last week. Must have been a leak.

This sucks! What do you think? Fix or new? It's about 9yo.

I am SO pissed! I've taken good care of this thing and I don't need to spend money on a new one now. I'm having another beer:mug:

BTW, this is a yard tractor, rider, dead pile of $hite!

If you can't easily find the leak, its probably toast. Even if you "fix" it, it sounds like still going to burn oil. That engine is probably built with a 100hr life expectancy. If you mow 10hrs/year its reached its life span.

Here's a shot of my POS...

thumb2_2012-06-27_21-24-55_163-55384.jpg

I think it's dead and fixing it just won't make sense. That really pisses me off! Talk me out of it and help me out please...

If you can't easily find the leak, its probably toast. Even if you "fix" it, it sounds like still going to burn oil. That engine is probably built with a 100hr life expectancy. If you mow 10hrs/year its reached its life span.

Man, I hope you're wrong! I'm pretty sure the important parts were "Made in China" so I should be ok. Aw...F---k me!

Does the engine turn when you engage the starter? Can you watch the output shaft and see if it's spinning?

I think it's a case of finding what's still connected and what's not. It's possible that the shear pin in the flywheel was slightly ripped at some point by hitting something and it finally gave way. This would throw the timing off enough to make the thing not start.

An easy turning engine might also have F'ed up valves, meaning the actual compression isn't happening. Not sure about the insides of a small engine though. I've never taken one apart since they are mostly disposable.

I have not priced parts for these, but instead of buying a new mower, wouldn't it make sense to try and replace one or two engine components to keep it running a few more years?

I have not priced parts for these, but instead of buying a new mower, wouldn't it make sense to try and replace one or two engine components to keep it running a few more years?

If you can do the work yourself then yes, Its the labor bill that will rack up the big bucks, The shop I was at charged $60/hour. Replacing the guts of a motor can easily run 2 hours

That's too bad. I very much enjoy it, but I also enjoy many other things and when they start piling up together it gets overwhelming. This reminds me that my daughters car needs to have the O2 sensor and P-brake equalizer replaced... But then I am very close to wiring up my 220V electric BK, at least for a test run, so I'm flipping a coin on which will happen first...

BK wins!! ;)

Too bad we weren't closer Homer. You could fix my mower while I work on your BK ;)

It seems that it seized and broke the piston rod. I threw in the towel and bought a new one today.

I gave the old one to my brother. Not much of a gift but he is quite happy with it. He has a lot more free time (no kids) and really enjoys wrenchin'. He'll have it fixed for a few bills and it's otherwise in great shape.

The new one is Hydrostatic and 4 inch wider cut. I tried it out tonight and I'm liking it.

:mug:
I worked at a Mower shop once upon a time.

Odds are good you didn't break a rod

My view always was Look at the mower ask yourself what would I pay for this at a yardsale/auction etc. Forgetting what you know about how well it has been cared for. Use this number to determine how much you want to spend on it. As for checking it out.

remove spark plug lead
Tip mower on its side, carb side up. Enough you can see under it.
Have someone pull it thru or engage the starter
watch the bolt that holds the blade on, if it wobbles the crankshaft is bent and the mower is junk -- cost to repair will exceed the value of the mower

If ok

check sparkplug to be sure it is tight
check head bolts to be sure they are all tight you should be able to get a feel without a torque wrench.

Check for spark,
remove the plug, plug it into the lead, touch the plug to the head and pull thru to see if you have spark.

Next, place your thumb over the spark plug hole and pull thru. It should blow your thumb off the hole indicating you have compression

Beyond that it is probably a flywheel key, which times the engine.

remove top cover
remove the rope starter cover
remove the large nut holding the flywheel on
get 2 prybars and remove the flywheel.
replace the $.69 key with a new one
reassemble

If you need any parts at a mower shop you will need the make model and serial number of the mower and the engine.

Mower info should be on a sticker usually on the back of the mower
the engine info is generally on the top cover of the engine. on the front stamped in or over the muffler stamped on a plate.

Partstree.com is where many mower places get their parts, if they are not a Briggs repair shop. you can buy there to for the same price.

Your advice was very helpful. I realized with your help, that it wasn't worth my time and have a new one now. My thanks are late but better than never right:mug:

No problem, I always hated to see people spend a bunch of money to fix a mower that should have just been replaced. Unfortunately they really don't last like they used to.

My dad brought over a '41 briggs motor, barn fresh, we cleaned out the carb, filed the points and put new gas in it and it fired and ran on the 3rd hand crank. I don't think my kids will ever play with a motor built in the present, but if I were to hold onto it they might still be able to play with that one.

No problem, I always hated to see people spend a bunch of money to fix a mower that should have just been replaced. Unfortunately they really don't last like they used to.

My dad brought over a '41 briggs motor, barn fresh, we cleaned out the carb, filed the points and put new gas in it and it fired and ran on the 3rd hand crank. I don't think my kids will ever play with a motor built in the present, but if I were to hold onto it they might still be able to play with that one.

I'm a tinkerer but not with engines. I secretly admire you guys...

Your kids are in good hands:mug:

Back