Small Clumps in fermenting wort - ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdrew23

Reaction score
Hello -

I recently brewed a slightly bigger version of BM's Centennial Blonde 10 days ago. Mashed @ 150 for 60 min as per instructions, oxygenated and pitched a pack of US-05. Fermented a bit on the high side (67-68 ambient temp).

I went to take a sample yesterday to see how things were coming along, and got a bready-yeasty smell when i opened the fermenter, along with many small "clumps" of what I assuming is yeast on the top of the beer. Not a terrible odor, but distinct. Gravity went from 1.050 to 1.007, and the beer tastes good (not my style of beer, but brewing it for friends and family), no immediate sourness or infection-y taste. When taking a sample, one of the small clumps made it into the test jar. See photo for reference.

thumb2_hydro2-60164.jpg

thumb2_hydro-60166.jpg

Has anyone seen this before? Is it a normal process and these "yeast clumps" will eventually sink out? Not so much worried about the beer as just curious what this means exactly.

you can get rid of the debris using a filter on your siphon. I've used a filter from gerrysbrewingproducts.com with great results!!

Back