Small Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthRidgeBC

Reaction score
I'm interested in small batch brewing but my entire system is built for 5 gallon batches. I do have smaller fermentation vessels but 5 and 10 gallon coolers and 5 gallon corny kegs. Can I used all of that equipment and ferment in a smaller vessel or do I need to invest in smaller coolers and kegs?

No need to reinvest. I regularly keg 2.5 gal batches into a 5 gal keg. Not a problem. I've found it easier to do BIAB for small batches. Still using the 5 gal paint strainer bags from the hardware store for 3 years now. I do use 3 gal PET carboys, but thats so I can recover more when I rack to the keg.

No need to reinvest. I regularly keg 2.5 gal batches into a 5 gal keg. Not a problem. I've found it easier to do BIAB for small batches. Still using the 5 gal paint strainer bags from the hardware store for 3 years now. I do use 3 gal PET carboys, but thats so I can recover more when I rack to the keg.

Perfect! thanks for the quick response. I have 3 gallon glass carboys so I think I should be all set! I'm imagining it's just important to thoroughly purge the head space in the keg.

Perfect! thanks for the quick response. I have 3 gallon glass carboys so I think I should be all set! I'm imagining it's just important to thoroughly purge the head space in the keg.

Yes, either purge it after or fill the kegs with starsan and then push it out with CO2. I tend to go with the later, but don't forget to release extra pressure before you connect the siphon hose, then rack through the 'beer out' post. Make sure the PRV or an empty gas post is connected to let the CO2 flow out during the transfer.

11_ryemaltvsnone_kegging.jpg

Image source:brulosophy.com

Back