Small batch/large fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billvon

Reaction score
Any downside to doing a small batch (2.5 gallons) in a large (6.5 gal) carboy? I am thinking that the increase in available air in the fermenter (i.e. oxygen) could affect when fermentation starts/stops, and/or cause oxidation if it's not all used before fermentation ends.

I hope it's ok; I've got one going right now!

I'm sure it's fine. Once the yeast get busy, there is a cover of CO2 to protect it.

I'm sure it's fine. Once the yeast get busy, there is a cover of CO2 to protect it.

Yep, you'll be ok. I wouldn't recommend transferring those 2.5 gallons into a 6.5 gallon secondary. but in primary, you'll be fine.

Yes you can. And welcome to the forums. There's a lot of San Diego in here lately. We are going to take over the world.

So when using a large fermenter should you just let in sit in primary for an extra week if you dont have a smaller carboy to re-rack to?

Back