Small Batch in Grainfather - Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peted

Reaction score
Hi, I have just bought myself the micro pipe set for the grain father and planning on doing a small batch this weekend.

As this is a small batch, I can fit all the needed liquor in the kettle during the mash. This would be nice, reducing the need to set up the sparge heater and having to do the sparge if self, Saving mess and time.

What are peoples thoughts of mashing with the full volume, Is this a big no no?

Cheers
Pete

I’ve done full volume mash’s in my GF in the the past for small batches. I have only calculated a minor hit to efficiency on them.

Works well for small batches because you don’t have to worry about the grain +7 gallons of water over filling it during the mash.

Hi, I have just bought myself the micro pipe set for the grain father and planning on doing a small batch this weekend.

As this is a small batch, I can fit all the needed liquor in the kettle during the mash. This would be nice, reducing the need to set up the sparge heater and having to do the sparge if self, Saving mess and time.

Cheers
Pete
Hey Pete,

Have you tried doing the full volume, no-sparge method? I've recently switched to this (Grainfather BIAB I guess?) for the same reasons you mentioned (time and space). Although much more practical, after a few brews, I am missing my numbers by a big margin. That was never the case with the normal pipework and sparging. Just wondering what your experience is.

I am doing 11L batches with full volume mash, no-sparge.

Cheers!

I find it easy to sparge with room-temp water while the wort is heating to a boil.

I find it easy to sparge with room-temp water while the wort is heating to a boil.

That's a great idea if it works well. Does your efficiency take a hit? Also, my tap water is quite hard. Would that matter when sparging?

I filter my tap water for both mashing and sparging. While a cold-sparge might not be as efficient as a hot-sparge, it'll definitely be better efficiency than no-sparge.

Cheers
Pete
So... how did your small batch work out?

Last edited:
Back