Small Batch Honey Wheat Beer Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackQueenBrews

Reaction score
Greetings All!

I am trying to develop my first small batch (2.5 gal) recipe for a Honey Wheat Beer using LME. I plan to use Briess Bavarian Wheat LME, flaked wheat, 10L crystal malt and perhaps a flavoring of some kind since it will be a Summer beer.

I was wondering what would be the best hops and yeast to use and any other recipe suggestions. Thanks as always for your inspiration and input!

Cheers!:mug:

Flaked wheat should not be steeped. It should be mashed with a diastatic base malt so the starches can be converted into sugars.

But chances are you won't need the flaked wheat, so omit. Use more Wheat LME or DME instead. Most Wheat extract contains 50-65% wheat already.
Leftover DME can be stored easier and longer than LME.

Add a small amount (~2-3%) of Honey Malt to help getting some honey flavor. It can be steeped along with the crystal malt.
Add some real honey when fermentation is slowing down to retain the subtle flavors and aromas. It will mostly ferment out.
I would not use any flavoring.

There are many Honey Ale recipes around you can use for inspiration.

Thanks! Any recommendations for a specific yeast?
If using dry yeast, for an American Wheat Ale, US-05 is very appropriate. Ferment around 66-68F.

I just did a search for American Wheat Ales, look there for ideas on hops to use:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/forums/homebrew-ale-recipes.62/?prefix_id=90&order=reply_count

I saw some of the Honey Wheat recipes there using as much as 10% Honey Malt, which IMO is a bit over the top. I'd say using 5-6% will give you a more honey pronounced character, double from the 2-3% I mentioned before.

What kind of honey are you planning to use, if any?

If using dry yeast, for an American Wheat Ale, US-05 is very appropriate. Ferment around 66-68F.

I just did a search for American Wheat Ales, look there for ideas on hops to use:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/forums/homebrew-ale-recipes.62/?prefix_id=90&order=reply_count

I saw some of the Honey Wheat recipes there using as much as 10% Honey Malt, which IMO is a bit over the top. I'd say using 5-6% will give you a more honey pronounced character, double from the 2-3% I mentioned before.

As

Sorry it took me this long to respond...I’ve been a little under the weather and work is pretty busy.

I plan to use clover honey...seems like the lightness and balanced flavor would be the best for my recipe.

Greetings All!

I am trying to develop my first small batch (2.5 gal) recipe for a Honey Wheat Beer using LME. I plan to use Briess Bavarian Wheat LME, flaked wheat, 10L crystal malt and perhaps a flavoring of some kind since it will be a Summer beer.

I was wondering what would be the best hops and yeast to use and any other recipe suggestions. Thanks as always for your inspiration and input!

Cheers!:mug:
I just brewed a similar beer.
5 lbs wheat DME
0.5 lbs cara 10
0.5 lbs honey malt
1oz magnum
1oz lemon drop
1oz citra
Zest of 2 oranges
Us-04 yeast

Magnum was 60
10 minutes for citra
Lemon drop at flame out

I made a small batch for a taste a few months back and it was a hit.

I just brewed a similar beer.
5 lbs wheat DME
0.5 lbs cara 10
0.5 lbs honey malt
1oz magnum
1oz lemon drop
1oz citra
Zest of 2 oranges
Us-04 yeast

Magnum was 60
10 minutes for citra
Lemon drop at flame out

I made a small batch for a taste a few months back and it was a hit.
Thanks so much for sharing! I'll definitely archive this recipe and modify it for my small batch (2-2-1/2 gal) brewing.

Thanks so much for sharing! I'll definitely archive this recipe and modify it for my small batch (2-2-1/2 gal) brewing.
no problem, I did 3 gallons this past winter and i couldnt keep my family from drinking it. i think it was bottled for 1 week plus a few days to carb up

Does honey malt steep well? I've used it in a couple mashes, but never considered it for flavor steeping.

I have steeped it in a few beers. The lighter the beer the more obvious it comes through. My honey brown beers have needed a little more for it to shine were as my wheat beers i used it in needed less. it will also depend on if you want it as a main flavor point or an accent to something else.

Back