Small Batch Fermentation Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DublinOhioBrewer

Reaction score
I converted to brew in a bag about a month or so ago. I bought a 10 gallon kettle with a port for a ball valve and the whole nine yards. After a couple of batches I feel pretty good about the process. However, I'm thinking I want to start doing some experimental type batches now and I don't want to do big five gallon batches when I'm trying out different combinations. So I have decided to buy a wilser BIAB bag for my 5 gallon Kettle and do experimental 2.5 gallon batches.

Obviously if I can find a 5-gallon recipe I can simply cut the grain bill in half and duplicate the recipe but I have some other questions that may seem stupid but for a newbie like me they're kind of important I guess LOL

Do you still pitch a whole package of yeast even with the smaller batch? And if so, is a starter even worthwhile for such a small batch?

Also, when doing two and a half gallon batches what do people typically use as a fermenter for that? I only have 7 gallon fermonsters which I would assume have way too much headspace for a small batch like that. I do still have the 5 gallon buckets that came with my starter kit from Midwest Supplies ( I can honestly say I've never put a single batch in there or ever used the bottling bucket because my fermenters are ported ). Would I be okay fermenting a two and a half gallon batch in one of those standard Brewing buckets or is that too much headspace?

I realize these questions are probably stupid but I like to make sure I have a good grasp on things before I ever start brewing.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Last edited:
Another question I forgot to ask...
How much strike water should I be using for a two and a half gallon batch and how do I determine what temperature to start the mash at?

Good questions. I am a small batch brewer. Typically I brew 2 gallons these days.

I actually do pitch less yeast for my smaller batches. I like to use dry yeast a lot. Using just 1/4 or 1/2 a packet of dry yeast and saving the remainder for future batches is very common for me. With liquid yeast, depending on the age, I might use a half a pack, or the whole thing, with or without making a starter. It all depends on how old it is. Use mrmalty.com to get into the right ballpark on how much you need, and always round down and NEVER use more than one pack even though sometimes it says to use 2, 3, 4, 5 packs -- that is just crazy, especially for small batches.

I use 3-gallon carboys and suggest you pick up a couple of those if you can find them. You might also be able to find smaller size buckets, not at a homebrew shop but something used for pet food or something like that.

For strike water temperature and volume, I defer to software for that. If memory serves, I typically have to strike with water in the 180s Fahrenheit. However it varies quite a bit from batch to batch. Software helps with this. Same for sparge volume and temp.

When doing 2.5G batches, I generally pitch half the packet of dry yeast, then vacuum seal the remainder and toss into the fridge. No starter but I do rehydrate.

I ferment in 3G glass carboys. For smaller batches than 2.5G, I've found used buckets at the bakery at my grocery store. Just ask if they have any empty frosting buckets. I've got a 2G bucket I got at Lowe's for 1.5 gallon batches and a few 1G carboys for 1G batches.

I use http://www.biabcalculator.com/ for my water calculations. I do full volume BIAB and no sparge, but if you wanted to sparge, just hold some water back and use that.

When doing 2.5G batches, I generally pitch half the packet of dry yeast, then vacuum seal the remainder and toss into the fridge. No starter but I do rehydrate.

I ferment in 3G glass carboys. For smaller batches than 2.5G, I've found used buckets at the bakery at my grocery store. Just ask if they have any empty frosting buckets. I've got a 2G bucket I got at Lowe's for 1.5 gallon batches and a few 1G carboys for 1G batches.

I use http://www.biabcalculator.com/ for my water calculations. I do full volume BIAB and no sparge, but if you wanted to sparge, just hold some water back and use that.
Do the icing buckets that you get from the bakery have grommets on them or are they just solid buckets? If so how do you deal with getting an airlock on to them?

Well, it was a good idea when i thought of it lol

I just dont really want to have to buy anymore fermenters.. I already have 7 as it is lol

You will need to add the groments on the frosting buckets. Also they do not seal air tight. When I was brewing 2 gal batches I would seal the lid with duck tape.
You can buy the groments at your HBS or Lowes.
Mr Malty is a good site for estimating yeast quantity. 5 gal batch usually takes a full pack unless it's a lager then you would need more.

I'd just use the MB keg and call it a day. If you have it, why not use it?

I have no objection to using it. I just got the impression from your post that two and a half gallons might be pushing it? Maybe I misinterpreted...

I've never actually used it so I'm not sure how it works. Obviously you don't use an airlock with it?

Lowes has 2gal food grade HDPE buckets for less than $4. Your local home brew store may have the airlock grommet you'll need for the hole you drill in the lid. If not, the mail order home brew suppliers have them. One thing I don't like about buckets is that I can't see what's going on inside the fermenter.

3gal glass carboys are available, as others have mentioned. Better Bottle makes a clear 3gal plastic fermenter that looks good. I have a couple of 3+gal water bottles I picked up somewhere(?), they make fine fermenters. They're PET plastic, same as the Better Bottles.

The Priceless BIAB calculator is what I use for water volume and strike temp calculations. For figuring out how much yeast to pitch, I use mrmalty.com.

I have no objection to using it. I just got the impression from your post that two and a half gallons might be pushing it? Maybe I misinterpreted...

I've never actually used it so I'm not sure how it works. Obviously you don't use an airlock with it?
It could be pushing it so you could either dial down the recipe just a hair or assume that you'll leave a little more left over when dumping it into the MB keg. It doesn't use an airlock. The lid threads actually have little slits that allow CO2 to escape. Even though there is no airlock, the pressure put out by fermentation will keep nasties out. Brewed in the MB keg for a couple years with no spoiled batches.

Lowes has 2gal food grade HDPE buckets for less than $4. Your local home brew store may have the airlock grommet you'll need for the hole you drill in the lid. If not, the mail order home brew suppliers have them. One thing I don't like about buckets is that I can't see what's going on inside the fermenter.

3gal glass carboys are available, as others have mentioned. Better Bottle makes a clear 3gal plastic fermenter that looks good. I have a couple of 3+gal water bottles I picked up somewhere(?), they make fine fermenters. They're PET plastic, same as the Better Bottles.

The Priceless BIAB calculator is what I use for water volume and strike temp calculations. For figuring out how much yeast to pitch, I use mrmalty.com.

I actually have a few 3 gallon water jugs that I bought to store starsan in. they're definitely food-grade because I believe they're labeled one. If I was to use one of those do I just have to find a bung that will fit?

Rubber grommets identical to the ones used on brew buckets can be found in the electrical department of any hardware store. I lost one into the bucket on my very first brew, so I always kept a few on hand as long as I used buckets.

I used one of the stopper I already had on hand. Traced a circle on the lid, then drilled a hole to get it started. Then used a dremmel to cut out the rest of the circle I had traced. They are not perfectly air tight so you may or not see activity in your airlock, but they seal well enough to keep the nasties out. Its true you can't see what's going on in there, but its a cheap (ie free way) to get a fermenter.

I'm using 4 gallon Anvil fermenters and love them. Racking arm is great. I keg to 2.5 gal kegs.

Back