Small Batch Fermentation Container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPNew2Brew

Reaction score
For those that ferment small batches - what do you use for a fermentor and where did you acquire it? I haven't had much luck finding three gallon food grade buckets.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I think the BB are also oxygen impermeable, unlike buckets. Better for long term secondary

I'm doing 3 gal batches exclusively now. I'm doing primary in normal 5+ gallon buckets, and secondary in a 3 gallon carboy.

I don't much like the head space in my primary bucket, but I really like buckets better than carboys, and I've not found any 3 gallon buckets either ...

I've used MrBeer, BrewDemon, and 12 quart pots. I have three pots I bought at Walmart, two SS and one enamel. The lid acts as airlock, old school. It works fine. The enamel one is easier to keep clean, gunk gets behind the rivets on the stainless. They can be scoured, boiled, or baked. Enamel was $14, SS $9. I just put a pale ale in them today.

I am a 3-gallon batch brewer (I start with 3.25 to 3.5 gallons of wort). I primary in 5-gallon Better Bottles. I secondary in 3-gallon Better Bottles or 3-gallon soda kegs.

I actually scored a three gallon frosting bucket from the neighborhood erotic bakery (no kidding). I also own one of those three gallon better bottles. But I really like splitting batches into one gallon juice jugs. That opens up dry hop and yeast experiment options.

My LHBS has 3 gallon carboys in glass and BB, and 12L and 16L buckets. I've only got a couple batches under my belt, but they've all been 3 gallon batches. The guy who runs the shop is a big advocate of 3 gallon BIAB.

Back