Small Batch Conundrum .. Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
So the last couple of batches I've made have been small batches. 3 & 2 gallons.
They're both in the fermenter in 5 gal carboys. Yeah, I know that's a lot of headspace, but I was thinking I'm not planning on secondary, and the gas from fermentation should keep the oxy out.

But now, I'm ready to check the gravity and I'm worried about opening it up.
I'm planning on bottling Sunday or Monday, so a hydrometer reading tonight, and then a check on Sun/Mon to make sure it's done.

Should I
a.) go ahead and get the reading, don't worry about the lack of headspace.

b.) don't worry about the reading, fermentation temps have been steady and enough time has passed. just bottle it!

or c.) I'm screwed either way.

I also have some 1 gal bottles, so I suppose I could transfer it, but I'm not sure if I have enough airlocks, and bottling from 1 gal bottles was a pain last time.

Advice?

Or option d.) holy hell man, seriously need to rdwhahb on this one. Co2 won't gush out and even given the amount you'll lose, your intention is to bottle soon anyway. Wouldn't sweat this one at all.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I've just been on a bad run lately with beers just not turning out right. I don't want to give ANY reason for there to turn on me.

Not sure if I'm overly critical of myself, or just on a string of bad luck.

Cool, thanks for the shot of confidence!!

Back