Small Batch Chilling in Ice Bath?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vallonswayla

Reaction score
Hello-

I'm looking to do 3 gallon BIAB batches in a 10 gallon kettle, and wanted to know if anyone is chilling that batch size in an ice bath. I'd prefer to avoid doing the wort chiller/ice bath with pump combo if possible.

Thanks

Ice bath works great for small batch brewing. Depending on how much ice you have, you can do a water bath followed by an ice water bath. You don't want to get caught at 85 degrees and be out of ice. If you have an ice maker, just store a few bags in advance of brewing.

I love ice baths, and have done some large batches that way when I had access to a commercial ice machine.....60-80 lbs of ice in a large tub with a bit of water....set the kettle in there and walk away. Nice thing about an ice bath is you can go take a nap if you want....unattended brewing is my favorite....yea I'm lazy.

I put my 3 gallon batches in my sink with ice and water. Like Wilser said, just make sure you have enough ice. I live close to a convenience store so when I ran out the first time I tried it I just walked there and picked up and extra 7 Lbs of ice.

I do two gallon batches and start with cool tap water first to bring it down from boiling. After draining the hot water and re-filling twice, I dump ten pounds of ice and 10 or fifteen 8 ounce frozen water bottles. It takes me about 20 mins to chill my wort to 75 degrees. Make sure to fill the sink above your wort line or the temp stratifies and takes four times as long to cool.

Shoot, that's what I do for my full batches... Just took 6.5 gallons of boiling wort down to 55 degrees in 28 minutes yesterday. First I use water to knock the initial heat down and then switch to ice water. Need alot of ice though and constant stirring.

I've done some 5 gallon batches with ice baths. I would just fill a Rubbermaid tote with ice and water, and set the pot in there. I've always made my own ice, that I use at work and for brewing. I fill plastic tubs up with water and just freeze them, then pop the block out when I need some ice. I have a good size stand up deep freezer that I freeze them in. 10-20lbs of ice always did the trick.

If you can't, or don't want to cool your wort all the way to pitching temps, then don't. I've no chilled, and transferred directly to my plastic buckets and threw them in the ferm chamber until they were at pitching temps, usually the next morning.

About how long would you say it takes you to chill a batch?

How much ice do you have? It will take a considerable amount if ice is used from boil temps. An estimate would be 20 - 60 minutes. I recall chilling about 9 gallons in a huge tub with a boatload of ice, temps dropped like a rock...
Stirring the wort will also shorten the time considerably, personal preference if you want to baby sit the kettle and save time, or just ignore it and let it "chill" lol

Stirring the wort will also shorten the time considerably, personal preference if you want to baby sit the kettle and save time, or just ignore it and let it "chill" lol

I think your right about letting it chill. If you stir it during the cooling period all the cold break gets stirred up and gets into the fermenter. For my small batches I like to limit trub if I can. Also having your pot lid off would expose your wort to nasties I would think.

I think your right about letting it chill. If you stir it during the cooling period all the cold break gets stirred up and gets into the fermenter. For my small batches I like to limit trub if I can. Also having your pot lid off would expose your wort to nasties I would think.

Yeah especially if your brewing outdoors. And yeah, crystal clear wort if you don't stir. Not to mention you can sit in the house and have that victory beer while it cools. If your not stirring, I would say 30 mins probably. It definitely helps to at least stir the ice water though, every so often. The amount of ice makes a difference though. Think I used to use 2 of my homemade blocks, each weighs about 8lbs, probably took 30-40 mins for 5 gallons.

I brew 2 gallon batches and started out using an ice bath, took forever though to get the temp down, like almost an hour.

I bought a cheapish immersion chiller and now can get down to pitching temp in ten minutes, well worth the time savings

Back