Small batch all grain using an instant pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmnbrewer

Reaction score
So I started looking at these extremely popular devices over the past few days. Of course they’re great for cooking food but could you make beer in them as well. Some have custom temp control for mash. They boil. On top of it they also could maintain warm temps for souring. Am I missing something here or does this seem like a great small batch automatic system? Specifically I was looking at the corosi 8 qt model. You’d think you could get 1-1.25 gallons when it’s all said and done.

Seems like a good idea and value but can't scale up like a component based system. As long as you're able to program it exactly as needed and have the storage space.
If you get it let us know how it works.

I have a single vessel 20 gal ebiab basket system so upscaling not necessary. Living in the great white north I tend to take a break over the winter. It refreshes the brain and gives me something to look forward to. I thought that this would be fun for small batch wintertime experiments.

That’s about the only thing that I’ve found online that combines a pressure cooker like an instant pot and homebrewing. This is all very interesting to me.

Using the yogurt function for kettle souring is interesting, but other than that, I don't think I'd get much use out of it. So for my money, I'd rather have something else.

I thought about this today. It would make a great mash controller to set the temperature to 150F for an hour using a grain bag.

Anyone use it to pressure can starter wort?

I’ve done a few 1 gallon BIAB brews in a 6 qt instant pot. Heated 4.5L of water up to 157F on Manual mode (lid on, about 20 mins to get to temp). Switched to Keep Warm mode as I placed bag in with about 900g grain (used a few different grains as in a typical all grain recipe). Covered for 45 mins and monitored temp while stirring every 10 mins. Was pleasantly surprised to see the temp remain at the desired point for the duration. Removed bag and drained to get 4L pre-boil. Added first wort hops, covered and entered Manual mode, set for 2 mins. Vented, added finishing hops and chilled in sink. Was left with 3.5L - 3.75L. Super fun, super easy.

I am very interested if other have done this. I have an 8 qt Cosori and would love to make use of it to break into all grain. I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work once you get a process down.

While I haven’t done this, there is no reason it won’t work.

Any 8 quart pot would work, an automated one should be even easier.

I would just suggest you also monitor temps manually until you develop some trust w/ the machine.

I’ve done a few 1 gallon BIAB brews in a 6 qt instant pot. Heated 4.5L of water up to 157F on Manual mode (lid on, about 20 mins to get to temp). Switched to Keep Warm mode as I placed bag in with about 900g grain (used a few different grains as in a typical all grain recipe). Covered for 45 mins and monitored temp while stirring every 10 mins. Was pleasantly surprised to see the temp remain at the desired point for the duration. Removed bag and drained to get 4L pre-boil. Added first wort hops, covered and entered Manual mode, set for 2 mins. Vented, added finishing hops and chilled in sink. Was left with 3.5L - 3.75L. Super fun, super easy.

I have an 8qt instant pot and I’ve been thinking about this very same thing. @carvetop, I’ve got a few questions for you regarding your technique. You said when you mashed you heated the water then entered keep warm mode, is there a reason you didn’t just keep it in the “on” mode at the desired temperature?

I also did not see any boil step, just 2 minutes covered then venting. Wouldn’t you also need to boil uncovered?

I'm looking forward to Basic Brewing's Instant Pot IPA video.

I tried using our 8qt instant pot for an all grain batch with mild success... my issue was the calculated boil-off was way too much (set to 1 gal/hr is for my 10.5gal biab kettle). I just heated the mash water up to the correct temp using the Saute function on "more". The IP has enough mass that it kept the 1 gal mash from falling too much with just a standard pot lid. I used Saute "more" until i reached boil, then used "normal" to maintain. "less" wasn't enough to keep it boiling.

My actual boil-off rate was about .25gal/hr. I'll try again using that and see how it goes.

Back