Smack packs vs. vials, heat stress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronzdragon

Reaction score
I've been having problems getting viable liquid yeast due to the heat in my area. I order from a rather close online brew store, and the shipment usually takes 2 days exactly via ups. I have them pack the vial in 3-4 ice packs.

When the box gets here, the ice packs are melted and warm, as with the yeast. In the last 4 that I've ordered, I've been able to rescue 2 of them after babying the starter for a week.

My question is this, are smack packs more heat tolerant? I'm not trying to turn this into a yeast battle, I'd just like to know, in my situation, would it be better to switch.

cheers

~r~

I have always had much better results from "Smack Packs". They have a 100 Billion Cell count and the Yeast is segregated within the internal pouch so even if it does warm up the yeast have nothing to chomp on while in transit. The White Laps yeast is suspended in a nutrient so it has the potential to start fast and die quick. If I were you I'd try to get one of the Wyeast packs and give it a shot. If that doesn't work you're probably doomed to use dry yeast until a LHBS opens in your area.

My question is this, are smack packs more heat tolerant? I'm not trying to turn this into a yeast battle, I'd just like to know, in my situation, would it be better to switch.

No, they're not. If you can't find a LHBS, try to find an online store that ships in insulated ice packets or pay for overnight shipping.

Otherwise, stick with dry yeast or find a friend willing to harvest some yeast for you. Homebrew clubs are an excellent resource for obtaining yeast.

Latest posts

Back