Smack Pack slow to inflate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldenfoon

Reaction score
I have a Wyeast NB Neobritannia smack pack that is taking longer then the usual amount of time that I have noticed for Smack packs. The few other times I have used smack packs the pouch would be completely inflated after a few hours, however this one has barely inflated and has was "Smacked" over 24hrs ago.

Not sure if this yeast is a little slower to get going then the previous strains I have used or if I have a defective pack. I appreciate any insight you guys can give.

Thanks!

From the horse's mouth.

From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.

You don't even really have to smack if you don't want to if you are making a starter, but you definitely don't need to wait for it to inflate. It sound's like you need to be making a decent sized starter, so that's the time you need to factor for, not whether it needs to be smacked or not.

Hint hint...make a starter...and you won't have to worry either way. ;)

Back