Slurry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a beer that is 2 weeks on WLP655 and WLP530. I am going to transfer to secondary shortly. My idea for my next sour is to just dump my wort into the same primary without cleaning it on the day of transfer. Anything I should worry about? I've rinsed yeast plenty of times, but never for bacteria and would rather skip that step. The original beer only had an ounce of hops so I'm not worried about that. Should I bother trying to rinse it, or just dump right in?

Thanks.

My concern would be over pitching, especially the Sacc strain. I'm all for just dumping new beer in without cleaning out the previous bugs. However, if it were me, I'd probably try to get a good potion of the cake out first. I assume you're siphoning. So, maybe siphon you're beer first, then as you get near the bottom, try to get some of the cake siphoned out as well. You can even save some of that siphoned cake for later use. After sitting in storage, the saved potion will have a strong bug population as the Sacc looses it's viability.

My concern would be over pitching, especially the Sacc strain. I'm all for just dumping new beer in without cleaning out the previous bugs. However, if it were me, I'd probably try to get a good potion of the cake out first. I assume you're siphoning. So, maybe siphon you're beer first, then as you get near the bottom, try to get some of the cake siphoned out as well. You can even save some of that siphoned cake for later use. After sitting in storage, the saved potion will have a strong bug population as the Sacc looses it's viability.

That was my concern as well. But, too late... Fermentation was crazy. Definitely going to add dregs to secondary in hopes of getting more bacteria in there.

Latest posts

Back