Sluggish Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildHopHunter

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I started keeping frozen yeast bank about a year ago. I started with The Yeast Bay's "Vermont IPA" yeast. Every time I thaw out a vial of yeast and build a starter it can take as long as 72 hours to see any activity.

I had been creating 1 liter starters and I thought that this may have been too much volume for such a small amount of yeast. This week I decided to create a 500ml starter instead. I thawed out a vial of yeast on Wed night and added it to the starter. Thurs night there were no signs of activity, so being impatient I thawed out another vial and added it to the starter. Finally on Saturday morning the starter is showing some signs of life (total elapsed time of ~60 hours).

Is it normal for yeast from a frozen bank to take so long to get going?
Should the size of my starter be even smaller.....maybe 250ml?

I'm new to freezing yeast myself, but I've heard it can take a couple of days to start. In my own experience, my frozen yeast get going within 12 - 24 hours. After removing yeast from the freezer, I first place in the fridge for a few days to thaw before making starter. From there, I pitch my 15 ml yeast/glycerin slurry into 500ml starter and step up from there. I used the link below as a guide and it worked really well:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35891

I think a key part is to let the frozen yeast thaw in the fridge for a few days. Good luck...

Latest posts

Back