Sluggish Wyeast 1332

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate milk stout for the first time a couple weeks ago. Pitched my yeast at 78 degrees (1L starter) and began primary fermentation at 65 degrees. OG was 1.062. Took about 36 hours before I started seeing activity in the airlock kept it about 64-68 degrees for two weeks and thought everything was fine. When I opened the primary to rack to secondary I noticed there hadn't been much of a krausen. Checked gravity it was still 1.040! Went ahead and racked to secondary and raised temp to 72 degrees. A second krausen appeared and airlock activity lasted almost a week and a sizeable yeast cake has formed at the bottom of the carboy. Should I rack it off again or just give it another week in the secondary?

I took a look at the Wyeast site. You definitely pitched above the recommended temp range. Max is 75.
I just kegged a Double Red using 1332. I pitched @ 66. The krausen was thick but not really very high and the yeast fell out in about a week. My starting SG was 1.067 & it finished & 1.014.
It's definitely a high flocculater & when I went secondary it was very clear.

I took a look at the Wyeast site. You definitely pitched above the recommended temp range. Max is 75.
I just kegged a Double Red using 1332. I pitched @ 66. The krausen was thick but not really very high and the yeast fell out in about a week. My starting SG was 1.067 & it finished & 1.014.
It's definitely a high flocculater & when I went secondary it was very clear.

I also had a thick krausen. First time using 1332 wasn't sure what to expect. Probably just give it another week in secondary then check gravity.

After giving this an extra week in the secondary I just checked the gravity. Looks like it has stalled at 1.030 whereas it should have finished around 1.010. Not happy:smack: Still tasted good so I'll go ahead and bottle it but next time I may go with the old standby 1056.

Latest posts

Back