Slow to no fermentation 5 hours after pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyjumpup

Reaction score
I pitched 4g dry yeast (Danstar West Coast Ale) in a gallon of wort this morning and five hours later I am seeing very little activity, if any. No gas leaving the airlock and little foam (and this may just be left over from shaking to oxygenate and mix in the yeast). My the ambient temperature fermentation cabinet AKA pantry is about 75 F and I have a 3gal carboy of brown ale that I made two days ago happily bubbling away.
This recipe involved about 14% rye malt and about 40% Pilsner malt, neither of which I've used before. It was an all-grain recipe, and there was a good deal of hops in it ( 1.25oz/gallon).

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Remember, the only "activity" that means ANYTHING is a change in gravity, anything else can be deceiving, especially bubbles. Also remember that as the sticky in the beginners forum, and the million posts on here reiterate, it can take up to 3 days for yeast to get going- Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs. And by visible signs, we STILL don't mean airlock activity.

It's too soon to even begin to worry...after 72 hours take a grav reading and come back and say "You were right guys, thanks!!" :)

Back