Slow starting ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a porter with extract and specialty grains. My temps were all fine and I sanitized properly. It has been 48 hrs and I don't seem to be getting any bubbling. Any thoughts?

There are a few things to consider here..

What type of fermentation vessel are you using? If you are using a bucket, CO2 could be escaping through the lid seal and no bubbling in the airlock

What is the temperature of the FV? If too cool, fermentation will take longer to kick off.

Did you make a starter? If not, fermentation would take longer to get rolling, as the yeast cell count is not optimal.

Once you started the slap pack, did it look like it was inflated prior to pitching?

This has happened to me several times. Can you see a krausen ring at all? That's a better sign that it's working. I bet it's fermenting but co2 is just escaping somewhere else.

It's most likely fine. Check your gravity a week or so after you pitched the yeast. If it's lower, you're making beer. If it isn't, pitch more yeast. If you don't have a hydrometer, it's well worth the investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I took a peek last night and saw there was a krausen ring. About ten minutes after getting the lid back on the party seemed to start right up. Thanks for the input.

Sounds like all will be fine. :) Without making a starter, it does take longer for the yeast to multiply to the point that an active fermentation is achieved.

Latest posts

Back