Slow start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm still fairly new and I started a Belgian Dubbel extract 27 hours ago. I used White Labs Trappist yeast. I have had a few bubbles in the airlock and a light layer of foam on the top of my brew. The foam doesn't cover the whole top of the batch it is so light. Should I be concerned yet? I have some LD Carlson yeast energizer and nutrient and was wondering if I should add any yet and if so which would be better? Thanks guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

Quite often I don't have any bubbles for 30 to 36 hours so I'd say your fermentation is right about on schedule if not a little ahead. Keep your fermenting beer from getting too warm and you're on your way to good beer. Congrats!

I do not believe you have any reason to be concerned, and have a couple questions. Did you make a yeast starter? What is the temperature of your FV currently?

When pitching a vial only, with no starter, you can expect a slower start to the fermentation process. Also when fermenting at a colder temperature, an Ale yeast will take longer to initiate and complete the process.

Thanks for the replies but I just realized I typed the wrong hours. It has been 47 hours not 27. I didn't use a starter and temp is around 62. Thanks again.

I would raise the ambient temperature until your FV is at 68 degrees. Also, the lack of a starter would attribute to the slow kick start. I still believe you will be okay. What was your OG?

OK, the OG was 1.062. I appreciate the reassurance.

Sometimes it helps to let the fermenter come up in temp closer to 70 degrees and then give it a good swirl to resuspend the yeast waking it up. Worst case scenario you have to repitch a new batch of yeast.

Per White Labs this yeast likes 65-72F, so you a bit below the ideal. I will say it before someone else, airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation. With that said, If you are getting some airlock activity and some krausen then let it ride on without adding anything. If you can get the temp up 3-4 degrees it should help things get more active. If not it should still pick up, just might take a little longer, not a bad thing.

The problem I have with re pitching is that I have to order liquid yeast because the only store in my area only sells dry and not much of that even. I don't think they carry any belgian strains. So I hope this gets going soon.

I have moved it to a warmer, yet still dark, area so my fingers are crossed. Thanks again.

Warm it up a bit, and it should get going. You might also give it a swirl, as mentioned above to, re-suspend some of the yeast.

i've used this yeast on my last two batches and a both took 35-48 hours to get going. i agree with everyone else, let is warm a little. don't get too warm to start as this yeast throws off a lot of bubblegum.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

After warming up and giving a swirl this morning I have a nice 1.5 inch krausen. Thanks guys.

had this same issue with wyeast 3787 trappist high gravity . 2 days no activity. on the third day while driving to work I get a call from my wife saying " hey that thingy just popped off the top of you're fermenter and know there is foam every where". Maybe that yeast just starts off slow.

Back