Slow start 1335

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pole

Reaction score
I brewed in Sunday, and have an og of 1.072. Pitched a 2L starter that fermented fine. Four days later, my 5g batch has had no activity. When aerating, I think my O2 tank was about to die because I didn't get nearly as much foam as I normally do. Should I give it a better of oxygen blast tonight and see if that starts up some activity?

Last edited:
I would say No to oxygenating after fermentation has started - Yes the yeast needs O2 at the start, but you don't want to be introducing it on purpose after the process starts. Just note that the airlock doesn't indicated fermentation activity - it can be dead still and the beer/yeast may still be doing its thing.

Thx for chiming in. To my surprise, I found a krausen ring around the inside of the bucket last night. I just had expectations of a more vigorous fermentation given the OG, but apparently things were quietly chugging away.

Back