Slow going primary in Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinsaj

Reaction score
Gents,

So I made a bock a few weekends ago. Nothing too crazy on brew day. My main issue is I made my starter the day prior as I usually do (I used 2 x Wyeast Bavarian Lager #2206). The smack packs never really expanded but I used them anyway-I waited about 12 hours for them to expand and yes before you ask they were a little old, like 5 months. So I just hoped for the best and made my starter as usual so it could be ready after I got the wort to 50ish degrees.
I pitched the yeast and had nothing go on for about 5 days, I was a little worried but patient-I know the lagers can take a little bit. It is at the end of the third week in primary and the gravity is only half way down. I started at 1.062 and am hoping for about 1.015. The OG is right for the recipe.
I check the gravity the other night and its at about 1.038.
Has anyone else had a slow going primary such as this?

Fermentation Chamber is held at 50 degrees constantly plus or minus 3 degrees.

Any thoughts would be great. Also, I did taste it out of the hydrometer tube and its delicious so far but has a long way to go.

Cheers

Jake

Keep testing the gravity and see if it's stable. Like, say, test it once a week and report back.

Next time, check out the Mr. Malty pitching rate calculator. Even at 1.062, you would need a 2.17 L starter on a stir plate with 2 brand new smack packs to accommodate that beer. (Make that nearly 6L if you just made a simple starter with no stir plate.)

-Lady

Ya, it was a 2 liter starter on a stir plate. I'll check it again tonight to see if there is progress. I know it's still doing something because there's a nice krausen on top. After I intrude with the wine thief the krausen dissipates and then returns within a couple of hours.

Ok. Let us know the results, I'm sure someone else here is probably having the same issue.

:mug:

Btw, apologies for "gents". I guess that was a little presumptuous.

I'll take a reading in a couple hours.

Cheers

Ok so I checked gravity in both carboys (I split 10 gall batches). One is 1030 and the other is 1038. They are dropping but real slow.
Should I get some new yeast and pitch or just agitate a little. This bock is pretty good and I would hate for it not to get even close to the fg of 1015.
Cheers.

Back