Sloshing wort to aerate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzie14

Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch, with a Mr. Beer kit. The instructions don't call for sloshing the wort after pitching the yeast to aerate, but after reading about it on many sites, I sloshed for about a minute. Then I read that you need to slosh for several minutes to aerate the wort sufficiently. Should I slosh more? It's been 15 hours since I finished the brew, and active fermentation has not yet begun. Should I/can I slosh more now without negatively affecting the beer?

I wouldn't. It can take up to 3 days to see visible fermentation. The yeast go through a reproductive phase after pitching before you see the beer fermenting. Give it some time.

What's the effect on the beer of aerating vs. not aerating (or not aerating enough)?

The yeast need o2 for the reproductive phase. I aerate all my beers,regardless of AE or PM. It give sthe yeast a good chance to be healthy imo.

Latest posts

Back