Slim quarter keg system build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I got an idea in my head to downsize my current 2 keggle propane fired system. I guess I was getting tired of messing with the burners and not being able to close the garage door to avoid prying eyes....plus, I really began to like the idea of using slim quarter kegs because of:

1. Bulletproof construction
2. For some reason, I just don't like stockpots...feels like cooking to me, not brewing. :confused:
3. Ability to turn upside down for a triclover bottom drain
4. Form factor

I got the kegs for $80/each...shipped! They are in nice condition.

Some of the things I think I want to do with this system:
1. Probably going to use 3Kw elements....and most likely 220VAC...I already have to have it for my tools, so I will probably just stick with it. I don't intend on taking this on the road or brewing in the kitchen, so that is fine.

2. Thinking about putting my chiller, sight glass, and pump(s) on a single mobile stand, kind of like the Blichmann Tower of Power.

3. Going to probably do butt weld 304SS piping from the bottom drains, just because I can, and I dislike the aesthetics of teflon tape.

4. Camlocks throughout, because I already have them, and they are cheap.

5. Doing a prototype chiller that I hope solves the inherent problems of both plates and coil CFC's. It is a TUBE AND SHELL HEAT EXCHANGER

6. I want to free-float hops...no baskets, socks, etc. hanging in the boil. So I am designing a kind of post-chill filtration system. (This is intended to keep trub out of fermenter, not to protect the chiller).

Over the years of doing brewing-related DIY, I have acquired a plasma cutter and TIG welder so I figured I could finally do some awesome custom stuff. It all started with homebrewing...which led to electronics, then welding, and so on....it is truly a sickness :p

I removed the spears and sprayed the kegs out. Then, I added back about a gallon of water in each keg and replaced the spears. The water keeps the slag from ruining the inside of the keg.

Here they are all done...I didn't have a proper standoff for the plasma cutter tip...my cobbled together setup made for a less than smooth cut, but I still made it work.

And this is all the junk from the plasma cutter....

Lastly, I decided to take the cutouts and TIG on some SS nuts and bolts I had been keeping...they will need something to keep them from falling in, like a few washers on the underside, etc.

Lookin forward to see how she turns out. If I may threadjack for a moment, where did you get the 1/4s? Been searching for a while(local breweries, craigslist, internets, ebay) and haven't come up with anything. Have a sanke but she's a bit big for my needs right now.

Actually got them on eBay...they turn up now and then...I happened to get them at a price that was acceptable....shipping is usually the dealbreaker.

I will say that these are underrated/underutilized....they are bigger than a corny so they make a better fermenter....but not too big, like a full sanke. I think the slim half keg is good size for either a kettle or fermenter for 5 gallon batches.

And now I'm watching another one of your builds... Sounds like a cool idea. I live the trick over bottom drain, I use it in my MLT and HLT, wish I would have done it to the BK.

Yeah, figured it was worth a try. I have a long way to go on this build, but I've been wondering about how to make the bottom plumbing as streamlined as possible. I *may* see if I can get a short run of butt-weld tubing (thicker, since I am a beginning welder) and plumb it that way. Also considered concentric triclover reducers to prevent a step-off at the drain. Of course, these are tiny vessels for such features, but it makes cleaning a lot easier, and a 15.5 gallon keg can be easily swapped in. I just spend more time building than I do brewing, so 10 gallon batches are not something I need to do very often. On the other hand, big batches are great for folks that don't brew often...ya just gotta pick a recipe you really like and hope you don't screw it up!

Here is a pic of my new Batch Sparge system that I have been working on for about 3 years that may give you some ideas. It is 100% hard-plumbed and clean in place, but also can be 95% dis-assembled without a single wrench. I used 2"x1.5" concentric reducers for the bottom drains with butterfly dump valves attached. Good luck with your build.

image.jpg

Unless you have a power restriction consider using 4500W or 5500W 240V heating elements. You will be able to add heat twice and fast and shave some time off your brew day.

Yep....50A ckt in the 'ol ga-rage....no limitations. Have to double check but think I just bought a 4500w...it will actually fit in the horizontal position.

As I work on other projects (I have DIY ADD).....I am thinking that steam is almost as much a problem as propane in terms of ventilation. Either way you gotta open the garage, no matter how cold it is. I have lots of machinery in the garage as well, and can't have that kind of moisture rusting everything out.

I will probably have the HLT on electric for hands-off preheating and precise temp control...then maybe add a HERMS coil to it. The slim quarter keg will be much more efficient vs. a 1/2 BBL....sparge and HERMS water can quickly be replenished.

The BK would be propane fired, where I would only need to maintain heat and not keep the burners at full blast. Right now I am thinking about using a 1/2 BBL for the BK and MT, with the HLT at 7.75 Gal.

2 filters? Coarse and fine I take it?

Yes, That's exactly correct. I'm hoping the fine filter will catch all the hops & trub. If it doesn't work I will just add a Hop Spider. I have done a wet test but have not brewed with it yet. I'm hoping that May 2014 will be the first brew. The in-line filters before the pumps also serve as a Grant to keep the pumps from sucking down on the grain bed too much. :mug:

Yes, That's exactly correct. I'm hoping the fine filter will catch all the hops & trub. If it doesn't work I will just add a Hop Spider. I have done a wet test but have not brewed with it yet. I'm hoping that May 2014 will be the first brew. The in-line filters before the pumps also serve as a Grant to keep the pumps from sucking down on the grain bed too much. :mug:

I also use two filters (in a much less polished configuration) But it has worked out excellent so far... I use a finer screen tub inside a course screen tube.

I think that's the secret....you really can't expect one filter to handle all that junk......you need on to take out the bulk matter, then another for the fine particulates. I've considered making some kind of a Dr. Seuss funnel with all those stages in a row....

I'm curious to see if the fine filter will catch everything and still not get plugged. I was pretty impressed with the filter test on the Brewers Hardware site for these filters. They loaded these things with way more Hops than a typical brew would have and they did not clog. I have a SABCO false bottom in the Mash Tun so that in-line filter will be only to catch what little husk make it past the false bottom and keep them out of the pump heads and RIMS Tube. Can't wait to see more pics of your Slim Quarter Build. Cheers!

I am using a 300 micron 4 x 10" stainless hop cup from a machine shop that sells them on eBay and honestly that cuts my bk trub to barely anything.... with the Herms my wort is clear when its pumped to the bk. Brew52... small world your in my neck of the woods.

I am using a 300 micron 4 x 10" stainless hop cup from a machine shop that sells them on eBay and honestly that cuts my bk trub to barely anything.... with the Herms my wort is clear when its pumped to the bk. Brew52... small world your in my neck of the woods.

Small world indeed. I assume you shop at Niagara Tradition for your brew supplies. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back