Slight buttery flavor with wlp029. Diacetyl?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltymirv

Reaction score
As the title says, I just finished primary fermentation with 029 and I taste a slight but noticeable buttery after taste, which I haven't noticed in any of my other batches.

The beer is a light "lager" with OG of 1.045, so any off flavors are apparent. I made a 2L starter from some previously harvested yeast, that had been in the fridge for a couple months so viability probably wasn't all that great. Although the starter seemed to take off fine.

I pitched the yeast at 62F and let it ride for 3-4 days. Once the airlock activity started to slow down I gradually ramped the temp to 68 over the next week. Total primary ferm time was 11 days and FG was stable at 1.010. The beer is now cold conditioning at 37F.

So do I have to drink this beer with popcorn now or can I get rid of the flavor? I've read that diacetyl is created by yeast during fermentation and is usually metabolized after fermentation is complete. Should I bring the beer back up to room temp and add more yeast? :confused:

Sounds like diacetyl to me. You might not have left it in the primary quite long enough. As to getting rid of it...You may be able to warm the beer up and pitch a pack of us-05 and let it roll for a week or two. That should clear the diacetyl up.

What beersk said, unless it's a bacterial infection that has created the diacetyl. That fermentation schedule with a healthy pitch should have eliminated the diacetyl created during the fermentation. Try the warm and pitch deal and if it doesn't clear up then it's a dumper.

Back