Slate article

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer has gotten incredibly hoppy but that's ok; there's still other stuff available. Back just a few years ago there were no "triple IPA's" or "triple dry-hopped" beers. Everything that's popular evolves, that's just how it works. Now it's pretty common to see IPA's dominating the shelves at your local beer market. Frankly, I'm glad new styles come out because that's how we get new styles. Can we take it too far? Sure we can but it's worth messing around with recipes to create a new and individual beer. Some will like it and some will not.
People like hops so that's what breweries make. Some people don't like hops and that's fine because there's still plenty of beers out there that aren't IPA's or pale ales that folks can drink.
For the most part I can't stand wheat beers but a lot of my beer drinking friends love them. I like imperial stouts, big IPA's, and oaky boozy strong ales, and most of my friends don't. It all just comes down to personal tastes and what kind of beer you're in the mood for on any given day.
All that really matters is you're drinking good beer with good people. :mug:

I am not a fan of IPA's but now and then my wife will pick one up for me at the store, she is a very good at picking out good beer for me to try, and I think IPA's are getting better flavor instead just being "how bitter can we get it."

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2013/05/hoppy_beer_is_awful_or_at_least_its_bitterness_is_ruining_craft_beer_s_reputation.html

Don't know if anyone read this article. It's a little old, but I do tend to agree with many of the points. I think some day I will open a can of beer and instead of beer it will just be hops.

Then you might want to try buying a different type of beer. I'm not a fan of IPA's and IIPA's, but I don't seem to have any problem finding a wide variety of beers that aren't. :mug:

It's a good article. I like how he points out that many people will mistakenly confuse the "flavor" of craft beer with the associated bitterness of hops. However I feel the bias that many craft beer drinkers have against heavily hopped beers is misplaced, even if they proclaim to like hops. When you look at beer, you have a few things that you can experiment with without the inclusion of something like a spice, fruit, or sugar. You have water which leaves you limited options. You have yeast which gives you some room to play but sometimes takes a very nuanced palate to notice (not trying to downplay yeast here). You have malt which does give you a lot of room for creativity, but eventually you start to learn what works and what doesn't. Then there are the numerous hop varieties that can be brewed individually or combined into almost limitless combinations. Every year you see new varieties pop up and something else is popular. The massive block of hop-centric beers that encompass pale ales, IPA's, DIPA's, etc serve as a canvas to show off these hops and we aren't running out of options any time soon.

[ I think some day I will open a can of beer and instead of beer it will just be hops.

Let me know when you find it...... I have been looking for that beer:mug:

I agree..... Hopcentric beers have probably been overdone in many instances. But, I have to say it has also led to a lot of great IPA's and DIPA's too. It has led to different hopping techniques that are more about hop flavor and aroma and less about bitterness. I like a wide range of beers, but truth be told, if I was listing 10 beers that I really, really enjoy...... I bet 5 of them for sure would be some type of hoppy beer.

To be honest, I love the increasing level of hops in many beers (especially if they are late addition). What I hate is the increasing level of alcohol in so many beers. I would much rather be abel to have several 4-5% beers. All of the 8-10% beers are just too much.

Like everything else though - to each their own. We are fortunate to be able to have more beers, in more varieties easily available to all than there has been before.

I got to liking PA/APA/IPA's a lot over the few years I've been brewing beer. But anymore I've been consumed with rare or extinct styles. They have a nice balance, but not too malty or hoppy. Just different & not too strong either way.

Ha. Cool! Gonna get a Kotbusser going pretty soon. Version one anyway. Gotta reboot my Burton ale as a PM with more of the original's flavors from 1890 or so. The Kottbusser is about the oldest, outlawed by the Reinheitsgebot & finally gotten rid of about 1526. Us Bavarians can be a stubborn lot. Some German guy tried to bring it back for awhile though. A few of us are workin' on it. I'm gonna see what other ancient dead beers I can resurrect!

With the next big fad (apparently) being session beers, maybe we will see the pendulum swing back in the other direction. Potentially moving towards some single/dual hop beers that stick around 30-35 IBUs but really show off the aroma/flavors without being bitter.

I think that's true. We'll all likely still like an IPA, but session beers with more character would be more inline with older brews now gone or scarce.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. My intent was not to say that I don't appreciate IPA's; however, my feeling on the craft breweries is that the focus has gone away from making the best beer that they can and trending toward how many hops can I fit in a can. The more focus that is put on hops the less the base grains matter. I get that they need to be able to differentiate one another and I think adding more hops is one way to do it instead of adding other ingredients like citrus etc... I personally think the craft brew market is saturated and many craft brewers will be locked down to regional markets where the local patrons will appreciate a local beer.(I know distribution is a whole other can of worms) Just my thoughts.:mug:

My issue here is that this is really market driven. Brewers are selling hoppy beers because there is demand for them. At the same time we are living in a time of more variety than ever so the complaint doesn't stand up to me. With so many west coast breweries opening branches on the east we are seeing even more choices than ever. I almost lost it when I got the SN Fall Pack this year and it amazing only didn't have a beer that clocked in over 37 IBU. If you don't want tons of hoppy beers, vote with your wallet, but also don't tell me you don't have selection.

My issue here is that this is really market driven. Brewers are selling hoppy beers because there is demand for them. At the same time we are living in a time of more variety than ever so the complaint doesn't stand up to me. With so many west coast breweries opening branches on the east we are seeing even more choices than ever. I almost lost it when I got the SN Fall Pack this year and it amazing only didn't have a beer that clocked in over 37 IBU. If you don't want tons of hoppy beers, vote with your wallet, but also don't tell me you don't have selection.

This is 100% the case. New Glarus is a great example of this. This is the first year in my memory (for as long as I was legally allowed to drink) that NG has made an IPA. Their Moon Man pale ale and the Black Top are both holly and delicious, I love them. The Scream IIPA is delicious, don't get me wrong, but I'd much prefer they stick to what they're really well know for, delicious and amazing fruit beer offering. Their cherry stout is divine. It's unfortunate to me that it's probably doing fantastic, so they'll keep making it and probably make other IPAs pushing out their other fantastic brews.

Back