skip the dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie10

Reaction score
I have 3 20L batches of smash pale ale on the go and had planned to dry hop but considering skipping that.

Batches are Briess golden light extract, 5% ABV and hop schedules were identical - 2 oz at 15 min, 1 oz at 5 min, 10 min hopstand. Smash hops were Denali, Simcoe and Vic Secret.

Will these late additions be enough to demonstrate each hop's flavor and aroma as is?

I have 3 20L batches of smash pale ale on the go and had planned to dry hop but considering skipping that.

Batches are Briess golden light extract, 5% ABV and hop schedules were identical - 2 oz at 15 min, 1 oz at 5 min, 10 min hopstand. Smash hops were Denali, Simcoe and Vic Secret.

Will these late additions be enough to demonstrate each hop's flavor and aroma as is?

I can't speak specifically to whether those amounts will get you what you want. BUT, I can say in my experience, dry hopping doesn't make much of a difference. I did it anyway on my last IPA, but plan on making that the last time. Unless of course I start to notice a difference. I also plan, just for good measure, to start doing nice long hopstands (30 min?) at lower temps (150-170).

That should be sufficient for examining the differences in the aroma and flavor of the hops.

How much hop flavor and especially aroma you desire is where dry hopping makes a difference.

I will say I have experienced the opposite from jack13 in regards to IPAs. I had been doing hopstands/whirlpool at flame out and at 170 degrees. They were hoppy. But on my last, I did a flame out addition AND a 2.9 ounce (that's what I had) dry hop. The difference was amazing. My best IPA yet.

Dry hopping will add an extra dimension to the beer and provide more hop presence to the beer ... you know, when you first pick up the glass and haven't even taken a sip. TIT increases the hop presence in the beer when you drink it too.

You want to compare the hops in similar beers. I don't think I would skip the dry hops.

Dry hopping, when done right, will add as previously mentioned, another dimension to the beer. It will also change the beer a touch, when compared to the same beer prior to dry hopping. So on its own, dry hopping has merits. It depends what you want to achieve and how much are you willing to spend to see the results, I assume you imagined before brewing these batches. Dry hopping is important as it will tell a lot about a hop, just as boiling, adding it to the late-boil and whirlpool will as well. Although, some hops are better than others when used late and dry hopoping, so you can't really get a complete " picture " of a hop without using it in the dry hop.

Back