Skip bottling day? Kegging without a Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dog

Reaction score
I was wondering if people have any ideas about skipping bottling day and just serving from bulk storage without going all out for a keg+gas. The main thing here is the 23L wine kits I'm making will be consumed within two months and not by people with sensitive pallets so maybe I have some leeway?

The easiest but probably not desirable method I can think of is to (don't laugh) simply put the wine into a 23L bucket with a spigot at the bottom and an airlock at the top. I could imagine putting some sort of foam filter on the airlock for germs. How much of a problem would oxidation be if the max amount of time is 1.5-2 months? Couldn't you also spray some nitrogen over the top of the wine and have that protect it?

What about the bags the juice comes in in the wine kits... is there some way to make that work?

I know they sell wine on tap bags for this at wine shops but you're not supposed to reuse them. Or can you?

I just don't like bottling.

Your wine won't last long with the amount of head space that will be created. I've seen wine start to spoil in just a few days, but adding nitrogen may help keep it for a little longer, but I think that it is safe to say that the wine will start to spoil long before you finish it.
I don't have any experience using the wine bags.
In my opinion, it might just be cheaper and safer to buy a box of wine, no disrespect intended.

Argon gas is your best bet for gassing the head-space, but it's not cheap; CO2 and Nitrogen will also work. However, you'll need to re-gas every couple of days/ every time you draw wine out. Some places sell "wine saver" gas cans (like the air cans for blowing dust out of your keyboard) those work well.

You can put an air lock on top but when you draw down the wine you'll create a vacuum and you'll either suck air through the spigot or suck in the contents of your air lock (maybe both). So don't forget to take it off when getting a glass.

Keep it gassed, keep it cool (40-50 degrees), get it off the lees if you haven't already, and make sure the container you're doing this in is extremely well sanitized. This should make it last a month or so. Best case you'll get some oxidation, worst case you'll start making vinegar.

How about "bottling" in one gallon or half gallon jugs? You'd only have to fill about 5 of them. You could flood them with gas (pick your poison) and keep them in the fridge. They should keep for the month or two. You can't be that lazy that you can't take a half an hour or so to do that. Less chance of sediment and fresher wine. If you are too lazy to do even that, perhaps homebrewing is not the hobby for you.

I was wondering if people have any ideas about skipping bottling day and just serving from bulk storage without going all out for a keg+gas. The main thing here is the 23L wine kits I'm making will be consumed within two months and not by people with sensitive pallets so maybe I have some leeway?

The easiest but probably not desirable method I can think of is to (don't laugh) simply put the wine into a 23L bucket with a spigot at the bottom and an airlock at the top. I could imagine putting some sort of foam filter on the airlock for germs. How much of a problem would oxidation be if the max amount of time is 1.5-2 months? Couldn't you also spray some nitrogen over the top of the wine and have that protect it?

What about the bags the juice comes in in the wine kits... is there some way to make that work?

I know they sell wine on tap bags for this at wine shops but you're not supposed to reuse them. Or can you?

I just don't like bottling.

If you're pulling wine from the spigot in the bottom, air WILL be pulled into the bucket somehow, as the loss of volume as the liquid leaves will create a vacuum. I mention this because an airlock will be useless here.

Honestly, if you'll be drinking the wine over a period of two months, serving from a bucket really isn't practical. If you really don't want to bottle, I agree with the poster above about "bottling" in gallon jugs.

I reuse the boxed wine bags. I have for years. No problems. A few of the bags I have refilled six times. No problems with leakage or spoilage. I do usually have the wine drunk up within three months however. ( I bottle the rest of batch, one bag per batch only)
I also have bought galleon jugs of wine. Drank them over a month, with no spoilage. There is a taste difference between first and last glass however. Not viniger or spoiled, just not the same. The wine keeps much beter in the bags. Or my homemade wine keeps better then store bought! It certainly taste better!!!
I have been known to drink my wine before botteling it. To the point of never botteling any. Easier with one galleon batches then larger amounts. With the big jugs the wine gets bottled when its no longer easy to steal a glass out of it! Yes, I do have way too much headspace. No, it has not ever caused my wine to go bad. I do not add anything to it either. Maybe the differences is I make fresh fruit wine. Not kits, juices or grapes. Grape wine must be very delicate. My abv is also 14%+. Better keeping qualities with less sulfa added:)
I also prefure young wine over aged most days.

I frequently jug wine instead of bottle. Higher ABV wines seem to handle it better. The thin metal caps with most jug wine seem to distort and fail to seal after awhile, but I've had good luck with the plastic caps from half-gallon liquor bottles.

Alright, I guess I'll probably go with some combination of jugs and wine-on-tap bags. I'll see if I can pry the bags back open after they're empty to reuse them. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Back