skinning a cheest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSNCO

Reaction score
I'm about to pick up a 41"x23"x35" freezer to turn into a keezer. I thought about skinning the exterior of the freezer with 3/16" beadboard oak paneling. I thought I read somewhere that sometimes that can act as an insulator to some chest freezer that vent heat through the exterior. I see no vent grates by the compressor.

Do I risk causing undue heat build-up the this 3/16" thick beadboard?

I'm about to pick up a 41"x23"x35" freezer to turn into a keezer. I thought about skinning the exterior of the freezer with 3/16" beadboard oak paneling. I thought I read somewhere that sometimes that can act as an insulator to some chest freezer that vent heat through the exterior. I see no vent grates by the compressor.

Do I risk causing undue heat build-up the this 3/16" thick beadboard?

All chest freezers remove heat through the outside walls of the freezer. So you really shouldn't do what you're suggesting. Better off painting it to suit you.

However, I'm not positive it will be a problem. Some people put furring strips up the walls, then apply the skin onto that, resulting in a plenum for heat.

Latest posts

Back