skid steer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want/need one. How much would you pay to own an old tired machine to help landscape a few(4) acres.

I see one nearby for $3800. Seems steep for the POS it looks like. But it beats shoveling I guess....

Have you priced out a landscaper? That sounds like an awful lot of real estate to me. It might make sense to own the machine compared to hiring the man to do it. You'd at least still have the machine when it's done and can recoup some of your $$ back.

(And those things as a lot of fun to drive around!)

Rented one a few weekends ago for 400-500 including delivery and pickup.

3800 is quite a few weekends of renting. I guess it depends on what you are doing and planning to do.

I want/need one. How much would you pay to own an old tired machine to help landscape a few(4) acres.

I see one nearby for $3800. Seems steep for the POS it looks like. But it beats shoveling I guess....

Depends on how many hours it has on it really and if the connections are standard to todays units (meaning you can just rent the occasional accessory, like an auger for trees, etc..)

Skid Steers and the mules of construction today and can take a real beating from day labor operators. What matters is how well kept are the innards.

Homercidal said:
Have you priced out a landscaper? That sounds like an awful lot of real estate to me. It might make sense to own the machine compared to hiring the man to do it. You'd at least still have the machine when it's done and can recoup some of your $$ back.

(And those things as a lot of fun to drive around!)

I'm not actually landscaping the entire property. I want to do some patios and trails and such and plan to build a house in the next few years. So I think buying one and selling it when I'm done would probably work out. My bro got a backhoe to build his garage, took 2 side jobs and paid for the machine...I'm sure I won't be so lucky.

I'm not actually landscaping the entire property. I want to do some patios and trails and such and plan to build a house in the next few years. So I think buying one and selling it when I'm done would probably work out. My bro got a backhoe to build his garage, took 2 side jobs and paid for the machine...I'm sure I won't be so lucky.

But then you'd have yet another cool toy for me to borrow! :ban:

I have to tell you something funny, speaking of your "cool toys". We were at the cottage yesterday walking down the path to the lake and Quinn looked at the freshly filled dirt and said, "Leon. Digger!"

He's not even two years old and is impressed by all of your cool toys!

They don't devalue in price after awhile. You buy one at a good price you should be able to sell it for near the same price when done.

They don't devalue in price after awhile. You buy one at a good price you should be able to sell it for near the same price when done.

Yes. Which begs the question of why is a $10K to $30k piece of equipment being liquidated for a mere $3800. They don't devalue that much based on appearance.

Right. At that price I'd plan on engine work or hydraulics replacements. if you are comfortable with that risk, then go for it.

It would be the coolest carboy hauler on HBT.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Yes. Which begs the question of why is a $10K to $30k piece of equipment being liquidated for a mere $3800. They don't devalue that much based on appearance.

It's old. '76 IIRC. I don't think I will look further into that one...unless the price keeps dropping.

Yooper said:
But then you'd have yet another cool toy for me to borrow! :ban:

I have to tell you something funny, speaking of your "cool toys". We were at the cottage yesterday walking down the path to the lake and Quinn looked at the freshly filled dirt and said, "Leon. Digger!"

He's not even two years old and is impressed by all of your cool toys!

Bob will love us for tearing up his yard;)

Quinn sure is cute! He could have gotten a little dirtier though;)

Bob will love us for tearing up his yard;)

Quinn sure is cute! He could have gotten a little dirtier though;)

As long as you're ok with your name being "Digger" as that is how Quinn refers to you now.

Just think of the projects we could do!

Remember that lighted walkway to the lake we discussed? And all of those rocks- gone! We could level the whole lot. Of course, Bob would probably divorce me. But we'd have a nice looking lake lot to list as a marital asset.

Yooper said:
As long as you're ok with your name being "Digger" as that is how Quinn refers to you now.

Just think of the projects we could do!

Remember that lighted walkway to the lake we discussed? And all of those rocks- gone! We could level the whole lot. Of course, Bob would probably divorce me. But we'd have a nice looking lake lot to list as a marital asset.

Never had a nickname. I'm okay with "digger" I guess. Especially if it comes from Quinn.

Lighted paths are really cool but you guys go to sleep before dark anyway so what's the point?

As already said, hydraulics and the engine are going to be your big issues. Past maintenance is the key vs appearance. Also before you buy check to see if parts are readily available for that make, model, and serial number.

On the hydraulic side check for leaks, worn/cracked hoses and strange noises coming from the pumps and cylinders.

On the engine side check for all the standard stuff you would on a car/truck. If it is a diesel (they are a whole different breed) They generally require special knowledge/training tooling, and can be costly to repair.

On the other hand there is a lot you can do with one, and as you noted with your brother, there is money to be made depending on your availability.

Airplanedoc said:
As already said, hydraulics and the engine are going to be your big issues. Past maintenance is the key vs appearance. Also before you buy check to see if parts are readily available for that make, model, and serial number.

On the hydraulic side check for leaks, worn/cracked hoses and strange noises coming from the pumps and cylinders.

On the engine side check for all the standard stuff you would on a car/truck. If it is a diesel (they are a whole different breed) They generally require special knowledge/training tooling, and can be costly to repair.

On the other hand there is a lot you can do with one, and as you noted with your brother, there is money to be made depending on your availability.

Right on. Sound advice. Thank you. The one I was considering has a gas engine with rather low hp and 800lb capacity.

Back