Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After 18 days in primary I racked into secondary on sparkolloid, kmeta and sorbate. After 4 days it hasn't cleared. Does anyone have an idea when I could expect this to clear?

After 18 days in primary I racked into secondary on sparkolloid, kmeta and sorbate. After 4 days it hasn't cleared. Does anyone have an idea when I could expect this to clear?

Maybe two weeks? If the sparkolloid is used properly...did you follow directions?

I boiled a cup of water and added 1 T. of sparkolloid let it sit for 5 min. and added 1/2 tsp. of kmeta and 1 1/2 tsp of sorbate, threw that in a bucket and racked onto it. I started it 22 days ago. It went from 1.070 to 0.097 in 5 days. I probably should have tried clearing it sooner.

I think it's in post #203 that Lon, the guy who came up with the original recipe, recommends sliding the bucket back and forth on a couple of towels to degas. Does this help to clear sooner?

I boiled a cup of water and added 1 T. of sparkolloid let it sit for 5 min. and added 1/2 tsp. of kmeta and 1 1/2 tsp of sorbate, threw that in a bucket and racked onto it. I started it 22 days ago. It went from 1.070 to 0.097 in 5 days. I probably should have tried clearing it sooner.

I think it's in post #203 that Lon, the guy who came up with the original recipe, recommends sliding the bucket back and forth on a couple of towels to degas. Does this help to clear sooner?

Holy cow! I have a batch from fermenter to glass in 16 days. But yeah if its not degassed it wont clear

I finally have time to bottle my 6-1/2 gallons of skeeter pee!

ForumRunner_20131116_170844.jpg

k, i know this is gonna get me a ton of negative feedback but here goes.

why did this guy make a dotcom dedicated website for a terrible, pre-beginner level alcoholic drink? and why do people keep saying this stuff is good? if i wanted some lemon flavoured cheap booze i'd buy some lemon-vodka ice drink for a buck. i used to make cheap ass alcohol with lemons, ginger and sugar and stuff on my own before i even knew about homebrewing or reseraching making worthwhile alcohol (beer, etc).

this stuff is not good and not special. the only thing people seem to say about it is that "it sneaks up on you real fast". is that a good thing? just buy a discount brand lemon vodka and save yourself carboy space.

why did this guy make a dotcom dedicated website for a terrible, pre-beginner level alcoholic drink? and why do people keep saying this stuff is good? if i wanted some lemon flavoured cheap booze i'd buy some lemon-vodka ice drink for a buck. i used to make cheap ass alcohol with lemons, ginger and sugar and stuff on my own before i even knew about homebrewing or reseraching making worthwhile alcohol (beer, etc).

this stuff is not good and not special. the only thing people seem to say about it is that "it sneaks up on you real fast". is that a good thing? just buy a discount brand lemon vodka and save yourself carboy space.

I believe the site was created back when less was known by amateurs about how to properly start lemonade with yeast. The skeeter pee is enjoyable and more delicious than lemon vodka (imo). But the ultimate reason for making it is because we can and so we shall. I could save tons of time and carboy space by buying craft beer as well. Instead I suffer the bad and rejoice in the good and craft my own. It is especially a no brainer if you have 15 bucks and a free yeast cake.

So why would you waste your time even saying anything unless your just a troll looking for a argument. I would suggest next time you see someone with a brew idea you dont like simply move on. Brew what you want and dont worry about what anyone else does.

So what is your motivation, then? What do you hope to accomplish?

why did this guy make a dotcom dedicated website for a terrible, pre-beginner level alcoholic drink?

Why does a dog lick his balls? Because he can.

and why do people keep saying this stuff is good?

Because they like it and they also like to make their own drink.

if i wanted some lemon flavoured cheap booze i'd buy some lemon-vodka ice drink for a buck.

There are members on this site from all around the globe. Alcohol politics and thus pricing are not the same across the entire world as they are in your neck of the woods.

i used to make cheap ass alcohol with lemons, ginger and sugar and stuff on my own before i even knew about homebrewing or reseraching making worthwhile alcohol (beer, etc).

By your use of the term "used to make", you indicate that you made it more than once otherwise you would have said "once I made". You made it more than once because you liked it, otherwise you wouldn't have made it twice.

the only thing people seem to say about it is that "it sneaks up on you real fast". is that a good thing?

Maybe it is if you're trying to get into some rather uptight panties for the first time ;)

fredthecat said:
k, i know this is gonna get me a ton of negative feedback but here goes. why did this guy make a dotcom dedicated
Do you run around to every recipe thread tossing out your two cents or was it just this one?

It's hugely possible that people enjoy this drink and therefore, they make it. Based on this thread alone, I would say some experienced brewers are making this so-called cheap drink. It's not supposed to be difficult; not everything is in order for it to be fun.

I don't get why it matters so much. For what it's worth, the process of skeeter pee isn't close to being a resemblance of vodka, cheap or otherwise. You're comparing two very different drinks here.

While I'm guilty of this too, perhaps sometimes you should bypass the reply button and head over to a thread that you can support. Of course you're going to get negative feedback. You didn't exactly ask a serious question and instead decided that you'd belittle those who enjoy making and drinking this beverage. Not cool buddy, not cool.

There's always a ****** on every site who pulls this. This is like the vegetarian who trolls a chili recipe. Usually when you ignore them they go back to humping their sister and not bothering anyone.

If I wanted a batch of skeeter pee for summer would it be best to start brewing now?

Yea age is not something this stuff needs. Just make it a month earlier like butterpants says and it will be all good.

Great, thanks very much everyone...I wasn't sure if age would add anything, but wanted to check

acott said:
If I wanted a batch of skeeter pee for summer would it be best to start brewing now?
I've made 5 or 6 batches of this and one month is the magic number. However, it will not hurt it at all if you make it and let it sit for several months. I've also made several batches of Dragons Blood that is ready after two weeks. Basically, it's Skeeter Pee with half the sugar in the beginning and 6 pounds of frozen strawberries added into the fermenter. It's just as tasty, adds the strawberry flavor and it's only half the alcohol!

DrHops said:
I've made 5 or 6 batches of this and one month is the magic number. However, it will not hurt it at all if you make it and let it sit for several months. I've also made several batches of Dragons Blood that is ready after two weeks. Basically, it's Skeeter Pee with half the sugar in the beginning and 6 pounds of frozen strawberries added into the fermenter. It's just as tasty, adds the strawberry flavor and it's only half the alcohol!

Excellent DrHops, one month will be plenty of time! Also great shout on the Dragons Blood, that would go down a treat with a few of my friends! And so my 'to brew' list keeps getting bigger :)

Am I wrong or shouldn't the recipe on the Skeeter Pee website call for campden tablets during the first step to ensure any bacteria is killed before pitching your yeast slurry?

Am I wrong or shouldn't the recipe on the Skeeter Pee website call for campden tablets during the first step to ensure any bacteria is killed before pitching your yeast slurry?

The lemon juice is very acidic. It typically also has some preservatives which inhibit the growth of yeast and bacteria.

@Arpolis: awhile back you mentioned substitutions for energizers, nutrients and tannins, etc. Would you mind giving me further information on those? I suspect the substitutions are going to be easier to obtain locally for me and I'd really like to try a second batch using the substitutions to see how they compare.

Thanks in advance!

@Arpolis: awhile back you mentioned substitutions for energizers, nutrients and tannins, etc. Would you mind giving me further information on those? I suspect the substitutions are going to be easier to obtain locally for me and I'd really like to try a second batch using the substitutions to see how they compare.

Thanks in advance!

Sure I can elaborate on that.

For tannin I always use a substitute to the grape skin or oak extract tannin at the HBS. I use black tea in my skeeter pee. Black tea like most plant matter can add tannins to a wine. It also gives a little different character based off the tea you use. I like Earl Grey tea in most of my wines. In many wines I go as much as 1tbs per gallon of dry black tea placed directly into primary. But with skeeter pee I always went pretty light on the tea and just use 1 tbs for the whole 5 gallons. Some people like to brew the tea and then add the liquid but I find it is a little less bitter but just as beneficial as grape tannin if you just add it dry. The tea settles with the lees easily and can be racked off of when you go to secondary.

Nutrients and energizer are just knowing what your yeast need to keep going. If using substitutes then I think it is super important to start a starter wine first so you can use the lees from it to start your skeeter pee. Many people just use a strong champagne yeast and load the must with nutrient and energizer which works fine for many. But using proper nutrients and energizer are key if you do that. So if you just want to go the grocery store route "lack the yeast, hope you can get good wine yeast" then make a starter wine like this:

1 gallon

4 11.5oz cans of Welche's frozen fruit juice concentrate. Any flavor (I love white grape peach)
1 tbs black tea (Earl grey works for me but use what you think you will like)
1oz of raisins (should be just one if those small kid packs at the store)
Yeast (wine yeast of choice, I like Lalvin 71b)

I like to use pectic enzyme and proper nutrients in the above recipe but again we are going for simpler ingredients. When you pitch the yeast let it sit at room temp for two weeks stirring twice daily to release CO2. After that place it in the fridge. If you used a decent wine yeast and not a low flocculat yeast then it should be crystal clear with hard compacted lees in 1-2 weeks if not less. Siphon off 3-4 wine bottles off the yeast and allow the yeast to come back to room temp. You can add a cup of water and a tsp of sugar to wake them up while you prepare the skeeter pee must.

For a standard yeast nutrient you can use bread yeast that you boil in some water to kill off. You can get individual packets of bread yeast at the store and just use 1 packet or 1 tsp per gallon. Mix into a cup of water and throw in the microwave for like 5 minutes. That kills the yeast and makes for some good protean for your active yeast to live on.

Energizer is designed to include nutrients that help yeast metabolize sugars and protean. Two very easily found items are potassium and B6 which helps with this. In the vitamin section of the store you can get 100mg b6 tablets. Use 1 per gallon. Just crush them up and mix into the must. They have a chalk filler used in the pill and that will float to the top of the must at first. Pay it no mind. After a couple days of active fermentation you will never notice it again. Potassium can be found with Morton's salt substitut. Use 1 tsp in your 5 gallon batch. Basically just under 1/4 tsp per gallon. Potassium and B6 do wonders for yeast health so with all these proper measures you should be able to get the SP going. Still expect 24 - 48 hours after yeast pitch for real active fermentation to start.

Hey folks,
I'm wanting to make this for when my wife and her family go to the beach this summer. Judging from recent posts it looks like I've got some time before I need to worry about making it, but in the mean time has anyone tried using fresh lemon juice?
Normally I would just use the juice from the grocery store but since lemons are about to be in season I plan on stocking up and buying a bunch for my Limoncello anyway (which just uses the peel, no juice being used), so I'll have probably between 15-20 lemons that need using.

So my questions are:
1) Can I substitute a part of this recipe for fresh lemon juice and proceed as normal?
2) Is there a taste difference between fresh juice and store bought?

There's alot of lemon juice in this.... I don't think 20 would cut it in a 5 gallon batch.

For the rest of your questions, I have no idea.... sorry. Be the first!

There's alot of lemon juice in this.... I don't think 20 would cut it in a 5 gallon batch.

For the rest of your questions, I have no idea.... sorry. Be the first!

I would need a lot more lemons than 20 for sure :D
I'm just looking to supplement the store bought stuff.

:mug:

My guess would be that unless you use all or mostly fresh juice you will get more of a storebought lemon flavor, thus negating any positive effects. I cannot fathom there being any reason to NOT supplement with some fresh lemons you have hanging around though...

Thanks man. I'll probably use the lemons for lemonade or something like that if there's not going to be a difference.

:mug:

So I just racked my piss. I started it on 11/4/13, and I'm still getting some bubbles in the lock. OG was 1.070@69F and I checked it just now at .990@78F ... temp corrected that's .992 for 10.4% ABV. I didn't get any sparkolloid yet, but I may just let time clear it, also have not degassed yet. Working on a home made vacuum powered degasser. I used slurry from white grape/raspberry and Premier Cuvee. I assume any bubblation is degassing on it's own rather than fermentation?

Back