Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. That's pretty similar to the "bent hanger" thing I have seen before. How long do you spin this in the carboy to degass? Is it evident when the degassing is completed?

I usually only do it for a few minutes. Maybe that's why mine was still gassy though :eek:

adriedel said:
Can i just inject 02 into it. Would that work better than a hanger?

Not to degas, yhat would oxidize your SP and it would be no good. but to introduce o2 yeah that would be fine. I use an airstone and introduce pure o2 to the SP while its fermenting.

Pasch I ran out of my regular stuff and ended up using Fermaid-K. Dosage was 1g/gallon as indicated on packaging and it worked out fine. Fermaid can be thought of as both energizer and nutrient.

Well it is good to know I didn't completely miss the boat on the additive purchases. Thanks for the help.

The nutrient levels, using a yeast slurry and all are all just overkill because this is a nutrient lacking high acid wine must. If you are short on the nutrients then worst case scenario is that you get a slow start to the yeast and you get some rhino farts in the main fermentation. Just whip the must a lot during primary fermentation and let the O2 help you as much as it can. If you are really worried about nutrients then a good substitute is boiled bread yeast and one 100mg B6 vitamin crushed up or better yet a B complex pill crushed up.

Well that is a relief to know. Stirring I can certainly do and will. I have been afraid I would simply end up with rather sweet flavored lemonade. I believe I will invest in DAP in the future, however. Thanks again for the advice.

I made my first batch of skeeter pee and it has some problem with an off taste to it that is not very appealing at all. My batch is about 14 days old, it fermented dry, I racked it, added k-meta, sorbate and sparkolloid. After it got crystal clear (6 days) it was racked again. The taste is not sulfur in nature, any ideas? Will it get better with age? Just don't know what else to do any help would is appreciated.

I made my first batch of skeeter pee and it has some problem with an off taste to it that is not very appealing at all. My batch is about 14 days old, it fermented dry, I racked it, added k-meta, sorbate and sparkolloid. After it got crystal clear (6 days) it was racked again. The taste is not sulfur in nature, any ideas? Will it get better with age? Just don't know what else to do any help would is appreciated.

Goodness 14 days old! I would bet any wine would have off tastes. That is why I do not use finnings with my SP. I am foing to age it anyways so might as well let gravity do the clearing.

As you can tell I am brand new to this, I realized I needed to age the wine I am making but I thought this was good to go as soon as it was made. You guys are making me feel better about it though. I went ahead and capped it in gal. bottles and will let it sit for_____? How long does skeeter pee need to age to taste good?

Thanks for you help and putting up with those that are learning!

I never try it too young. The soonest I tried it was 4 months I think. It was great then. But 30 to 45 says I would imagine it starts to meld nicely.

Fermentation takes 3wks? Clarification without additives is another 3-4 wks, finding time to bottle, 1-2 wks, so I would say from start to finish is 2mo? I doubt the flavor improves or even changes much at that point.

looneybomber said:
Fermentation takes 3wks? Clarification without additives is another 3-4 wks, finding time to bottle, 1-2 wks, so I would say from start to finish is 2mo? I doubt the flavor improves or even changes much at that point.

Not necessarily, mine fermented dry in about a week, cleared in under a week, and ill have it bottled in under 3 weeks total time. I'm sure it will taste pretty 'green.'

I have 5 gallons of apfelwein in a better bottle right now that is two weeks old. Was thinking about racking it to a 5 gallon better bottle to start some SP from the apfelwein lees. Do you think I will have enough of a cake in the apfelwein to get the pee going? It's still cloudy so I can't really tell. Any input would be great!

I have 5 gallons of apfelwein in a better bottle right now that is two weeks old. Was thinking about racking it to a 5 gallon better bottle to start some SP from the apfelwein lees. Do you think I will have enough of a cake in the apfelwein to get the pee going? It's still cloudy so I can't really tell. Any input would be great!
You will have enough yeast to get it going - done it.

BUT ....

If you used Montrachet do yourself a favor and avoid that particular endeavor and the smell of sulfur that will follow (right into your glass.) If what you want is someone to tell you it will be fine then you probably will not have to wait long, but Montrachet seems to be a particularly nasty yeast for sulfur production with SP.

BUT ....

If you used Montrachet do yourself a favor and avoid that particular endeavor and the smell of sulfur that will follow (right into your glass.) If what you want is someone to tell you it will be fine then you probably will not have to wait long, but Montrachet seems to be a particularly nasty yeast for sulfur production with SP.

JUST to give the devil his due, would a good smacking with a copper rod help this after the fact? I brought some really sulphury apfelwein back to life that way once...

JUST to give the devil his due, would a good smacking with a copper rod help this after the fact? I brought some really sulphury apfelwein back to life that way once...
I've not tried that yet, but I've read about it in the literature. It seems a sound idea but I wonder how long the contact time needs to be ... and then how much is too long since the acidic wine will continuously strip copper.

The CuSO4 worked fine for me and appealed to my geek-ish nature. Using copper (pipe, still, whatever) to improve alcoholic beverages is an ancient tradition and probably just as good.

I love my copper rod. Its made of 3 strands of thick copper wire that were twisted using a cordless drill. It hangs out of the way in my brew closet, and if my wife isnt paying attention I'll give her a light whack in the behind with it.

What were we talking about again?

LBussy said:

BUT ....

I actually used wlp720 for my apfelwein , haven't read about anyone else using that so I hope it turns out good. Smells great right now from the airlock.

captgreg said:
I actually used wlp720 for my apfelwein , haven't read about anyone else using that so I hope it turns out good. Smells great right now from the airlock.

Anyone try the wlp720 for SP?

Hi guys. I was wondering if anybody could help me figure out why my skeeter pee isn't clearing. I followed Lon's recipe from the site with the exception of using a slurry from a Belgian Tripel. Everything has gone well with fermentation. I racked to secondary on 3/23. I added sparkalloid as called for in the recipe. The pee cleared slightly the first week after fining addition but hasn't cleared any more since, going on 2 months. I have tried cold crashing which didn't help. I've heard people have it clear a week after sparkalloid, and on the other extreme I have heard people say to let it sit for 4 months. Obviously I am somewhere in the middle but just getting antsy after not seeing any progress for a while. Any advice guys?

LBussy said:

BUT ....

I'm sure you're right, but I used it (had it on hand) and though it took longer than expected, no sulfur smell. In fact I've polished about half of it off (mixed with iced head) in the past month.

Hovik said:
Hi guys. I was wondering if anybody could help me figure out why my skeeter pee isn't clearing. I followed Lon's recipe from the site with the exception of using a slurry from a Belgian Tripel. Everything has gone well with fermentation. I racked to secondary on 3/23. I added sparkalloid as called for in the recipe. The pee cleared slightly the first week after fining addition but hasn't cleared any more since, going on 2 months. I have tried cold crashing which didn't help. I've heard people have it clear a week after sparkalloid, and on the other extreme I have heard people say to let it sit for 4 months. Obviously I am somewhere in the middle but just getting antsy after not seeing any progress for a while. Any advice guys?

Did you degas? I tried clearing w/o degassing (no equipment) to no avail. But Gerry rigged a vacuum degassing thing with a wine bottle pump I had, and redid the sparkalloid, and I was crystal clean in 3 days.

I think degassing is a big deal with SP. Once it is degassed well it gets crystal clear quick it seems.

Did you degas? I tried clearing w/o degassing (no equipment) to no avail. But Gerry rigged a vacuum degassing thing with a wine bottle pump I had, and redid the sparkalloid, and I was crystal clean in 3 days.

I did "try" degassing. I too didn't have equipment but I did agitate aggressively for about 20 minutes using a modified plastic clothes hangar and a cordless drill until I didn't see any more bubbles. I didn't use a vacuum and don't know much about doing that. I have one of those wine preserving pumps that you put the stopper in the bottle and then it pumps the oxygen out of it, has anyone tried using one of those to degas a carboy?

Hovik said:
. I have one of those wine preserving pumps that you put the stopper in the bottle and then it pumps the oxygen out of it, has anyone tried using one of those to degas a carboy?

I have not done so personally but have been researching degassing as I prepare to do my first batch of SP soon and found this exact idea on YouTube.
Check it out.

[ame]http://youtu.be/ZjL80hXkHdI[/ame]

Chris

I have been wondering about the clarity thing as well. My SP isn't clearing for squat. I did use a wine whip for degassing, but apparently I didn't go for nearly long enough - I only ran it for a minute or two. I just didn't see much happening as far as bubbles. Plus, my home-brew nature was getting worried with all of that stirring and oxygenation. I even threw it in my chamber and have been cold crashing it for several days now. Guess I should have done some more research first about the degassing.

I tried a small sample - it is pretty good. I may just rack into the keg and drink it. Just looks like lemonade right now.

Mine is clear as can be, and I've k-meta/sorbated, and racked off into a new carboy.
But its still giving off bubbles so I'm leery of back-sweetening yet and assume its just leftover CO2?

Mine cleared finally about the same time the keg was emptying. Apparently it did not discourage people, and let's face it it does look like lemonade when cloudy.

I added the sparkloid, but I think I may have done it incorrectly. The instructions said to add after "letting it cool". Well, I let it cool for quite a while and it had gelled up. I stirred it up and got it pretty soupy and then added it to the SP and stirred. All a learning process.

I am going to try this recipe with ReaLime next time.

I used gelatin on my last batch and it was clear in two days. That may be something you guys that are having difficulty clearing could try.
That's interesting ... gelatin should bind to proteins and polyphenols, neither of which should be an issue with SP. I suppose it could be the tannin we add back in (tannin is a polyphenol) but I was unaware that the tannin we use is a contributor to cloudiness. As a matter of fact it s believed that tannins help control protein cloudiness.

Maybe there's a difference in the tannins we use. I think the bottle I have is oak tannin, perhaps grape tannin would be better?

I added the sparkloid, but I think I may have done it incorrectly. The instructions said to add after "letting it cool". Well, I let it cool for quite a while and it had gelled up. I stirred it up and got it pretty soupy and then added it to the SP and stirred. All a learning process.
I don't let mine cool generally. I can't see where it would make a difference to the large body of the wine.

I don't use oak or grape tannin but rather tannin from black tea. And mine clears without finnings. And I mean super clear. It may take 3 months but time is all I have ever needed.

I don't use oak or grape tannin but rather tannin from black tea. And mine clears without finnings. And I mean super clear. It may take 3 months but time is all I have ever needed.
I'd say mine was clear after a month, but it was also damn near gone. It goes in the keg after it "mostly" clears, about a week after fermentation completes. After three months, if I could wait that long, I would expect mine to be super clear as well.

Mine usually gets clear within minutes of adding the sparkloid. Maybe it's the way I make it. I use a brew belt to keep the bucket at around 82 degrees during fermentation. After its done fermenting I rack it into a separate bucket add the yeast killers then crash cold it to 32 degrees. After its cold I add the sparkloid along with more inverted sugar to back sweeten it. The last 4 batches were crystal clear within minutes of adding the sparkloid. Maybe it's due to the high fermentation temperature?

Hovik said:
I have one of those wine preserving pumps that you put the stopper in the bottle and then it pumps the oxygen out of it, has anyone tried using one of those to degas a carboy?

Yes. They were a little on the small side, so I took my standard blowoff tube, and a smaller tube whose OD matched the ID of my blowoff and then put my vacuum stopper in the smaller tube, then put the small tube in my blowoff. Worked great, just make sure you have a way to stop the tube from getting sucked it. I actually had the carboy sit on the blowoff tube. I plan of experimenting with two small sections of tube and maybe a bead of hot glue or something.

Hi guys, just wanted to say that I did try using my battery powered wine preservation pump and not only did it turn out to be an effective tool for degassing the SP, it also formed a tight, double seal on the top of my airlock. Here are some photos (sorry the HBT app auto-rotates them) and the model of the pump is Sharper Image KP-W140. H

ForumRunner_20130522_190255.jpg

ForumRunner_20130522_190356.jpg

ForumRunner_20130522_190446.jpg

Back