Skagit Valley Malting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoengine

Whale Noun Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here use their stuff? I decided to have my homebrew shop order me a sack of organic Copeland Pilsner which I believe they said would be in around end of November. Their stuff attracted me initially because they, and the farms, are just a quick jaunt up I-5 from me, and some storied local breweries use them (Pike and Fremont).

I've used their Copeland Pilsner, Talisman pale ale, and have their NZ 151 pale and Pilot pale, but have not brewed with them yet. Both performed well for what I used them for (american IPA and Pale Ale), but I was talking with Mari Kemper of Chuckanut Brewing, and she said that Will did not care for their Pilsner malts for their Kolsch, and are sticking with Weyermann.

I've used their Copeland Pilsner, Talisman pale ale, and have their NZ 151 pale and Pilot pale, but have not brewed with them yet. Both performed well for what I used them for (american IPA and Pale Ale), but I was talking with Mari Kemper of Chuckanut Brewing, and she said that Will did not care for their Pilsner malts for their Kolsch, and are sticking with Weyermann.
Did she give you any hints why the pils was disatisfying?

Well, it made an excellent Belgian Tripel. I am not versed enough in the differences between Pilsener malts to really determine if there is any quality recommendation here, but I certainly can support them for being local. I have a Pilsner fermenting right now as well, so we'll see in a month or so.

Back