Sixpoint Resin clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydnly5

Reaction score
I asked my local homebrew supply shop for an extract recipe for Sixpoint Resin. I am curious if I brewed this correctly. I have done about 10 batches so far but all have been kits with specific step by step instructions.

2 row caramel malt 60L 4.8 oz
2 row caramel malt 40L 4.8 oz
2 row caramel malt 10L 4.8 oz
3 cans of golden Light LME (9.9 lb total)
corn sugar 12 oz

I added cracked grains into 2 muslin bags to my brew kettle with 2 gallons of water, once it reached 150 degrees I maintained that temp for about 30 mins.

I took out the grains, brought the water to boil and added 1st can of LME and set timer for 90 mins. I added the next cans at 60 mins and 30 mins respectfully.

my hop schedule was
1 oz Columbus at 60 mins
1 oz citra at 30 mins
2 oz Amarillo at 20 mins
2 oz Chinook at 5 mins (also added corn sugar at this time)
2 oz of cascade at 1 min

I put this in an ice bath for twenty mins. I put two cold gallons of water into fermenting bucket and added wort and then added more cold water to bring to a 5 gallon total. I aerated the wort and pitched my two packets of wyeast (northwest ale 1332).

I am using a blow off because the temp of the room I am fermenting is 69-70 degrees and my last batch (double IPA single hop) got crazy with an airlock and had to switch to a blow off.

My OG was 1.070, but target was around 1.08.

I put the lid on the fermenter last night around 11 pm, it is 9 am this am and there is aggressive fermentation going on.

I am not sure how I am going to dry hop this one yet, but I have some time to figure that one out.

let me know everyone's opinion on how I went about this one.

Only two things I see are you are probably fermenting a little warm, since it will produce some some heat you'll be closer to the upper end of the range. If you can get it to 65 you'd be better off. Second, given that you used extract, unless you had some trouble getting all of the extract out, I'd imagine you may have not been completely stirred in and you were slightly diluted where you sampled.

I see you mention dry hop, but I don't see you have any left over hops.

i don't think i can get in any colder, it is in my basement (coldest part of my house). i need to get more hops for dry hop, just not sure which hops to add and at what quantity. i am think the 1 oz of Amarillo, citra and Chinook.

i don't think i can get in any colder, it is in my basement (coldest part of my house). i need to get more hops for dry hop, just not sure which hops to add and at what quantity. i am think the 1 oz of Amarillo, citra and Chinook.
Look in to using a swamp cooler.

That hop bill is more than a little surprising. I've only tried Sixpoint Resin once (and probably never will again), and I didn't get so much as a hint of citrus from it. It was all pine, dank, and sticky. All that cascade, citra, and amarillo would lead me to expect considerably more grapefruit.

I was under the impression they were using hopshot / hopjizz extract. Not sure why I recall that.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure they are using hop extract per their website:
"beer that celebrates the extraction of hop resin for a concentrated yet balanced brew"

I decided to punch this in to beersmith and I'm sorry to say I only get ~48.7 IBU which seems really low to me for the style. Sixpoint lists resin at 103 IBUs. I think you might get a tasty (but underbittered) beer, but I'm not sure it will taste like resin. Next time check this out: http://www.brewbrothers.biz/Hop-JizzTM

Back