Sitting my immersion chiller on my element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifting79

Reaction score
Hey guys so I have a question regarding the fact that I let my immersion chiller
rest on my heating element in the last 10 minutes of the boil( to sanitize )
then after I turn off the heat it obviously sits on there for another 1/2 an hour

My question is will this effect my element eg; short it out damage the electrical capabilities? or is it cool and just keep doing it this way for now until
I

I have been using it this way for 5 brews and seems to work fine

But recently I accidentally ran the element without any wort over the element and this seems to have damaged the element some what so I have replaced it with with an ULD element

Its a 5500w element in a keggle using one of the more beer immersion chillers

It will stress the gasket more than the element. If the gasket fails it will trip your ground fault circuit. If you don't have a ground fault circuit interrupter, then it will trip the breaker. The gaskets are fairly resilient though and you've probably installed the element fairly snug so probably no worries unless you have a fairly heavy chiller. It certainly couldn't hurt anything to put something in the kettle to support the chiller, which is what I would probably do.

thanks Grathan
your right Im not worried about the seal
im using a Stilldragon element guard kit ..really quite strong
im thinking some kind of cake rack(stainless) of sorts see what i can come up with!

Thanks

Back