Siphon vs. Bucket Spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewNate

Reaction score
In relation to transferring your wort form a primary to secondary fermentation container, I have read several threads recently in which brewers recommend using the spigot on the bottom of the brewing bucket as opposed to using a siphon. Many claim this is the superior option. I have never done this out of fear that the spigot was too close to the trub and would suck it all in. However, some have said that the spigot's location is actually above the trub. If this is, indeed a better way to transfer it would make my life a lot easier!

Can anyone elaborate further on this? I really don't want to screw up a batch by attempting to transfer through the spigot if it is not a recommended way to do so. If transferring via the spigot is safe, would it actually be preferable due to less aeration? Thanks!

Mmm it depends on the size of the trub and the yeast, usually. It's true, the spigot is elevated about 2" above the bottom of the bucket, so racking off your beer by using the spigot and then a length of tubing into another bottling bucket would seem ideal.

I wouldn't bottle directly from it as there's too much risk of getting that yeast cake and trub into your bottles/kegs. In fact, if you have a big trub layer, you run the risk of sucking all that gunk into the spigot which creates a mess.

I use my trusty autosiphon for racking. It doesn't matter what sort of food safe container I use as my primary, I can rack off of the trub easily, safely and securely using the autosiphon. A nice long length of tubing is all it takes to run the end of the siphon to the bottom of a bottling bucket, and a nice gentle flow ensures very little air mixing in. It's a beautiful thing.

Back