Siphon broke did I mess up my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
So I tested my beer today it hit fg and i sampled it and it was soo good hands down the best beer ive ever made it was so clean had no funky or homebrewy after taste.

So I go to put it into my keg and 25% transfers with my auto siphon then it starts getting stuck

I ended up pumping it 10x or so before i realized a loose hop got stuck in it, the fermenter started to get foamy and stir up the yeast some

Then it completely stopped working even after clearing it I think i bent it.

So I had to use my mouth to transfer the 50% of beer which worked fine but the tube was a little short so it had to transfer down the side of my keg

By pumping it trying to get it to transfer did my beer get ruined? Is there a bunch of oxygen now?

I'm so mad because it was my best beer and so perfect even before it was carbed and all that was left to do was transfer it to the keg

Once it was in the keg i purged it with co2 a few times thinking it might help

I had a mess of a transfer once like you and it was because of the rubber ring on the inner portion was not fitting flush and would not hold a seal and would cause the beer to flush right back into the fermenter. So like you had to pump almost all of the beer into the keg... what a disaster.

I would check that isn't your problem, because it sounds like even after you cleared the hops you still couldn't siphon it.

What kind of beer is it? Hoppy beers will lend to oxidation much easier. I would just keep it carbonating for a week and test it out. Its not ruined until its ruined.

I had a mess of a transfer once like you and it was because of the rubber ring on the inner portion was not fitting flush and would not hold a seal and would cause the beer to flush right back into the fermenter. So like you had to pump almost all of the beer into the keg... what a disaster.

I would check that isn't your problem, because it sounds like even after you cleared the hops you still couldn't siphon it.

What kind of beer is it? Hoppy beers will lend to oxidation much easier. I would just keep it carbonating for a week and test it out. Its not ruined until its ruined.
Its a 80ibu session ipa. Its not bad but i feel like i can taste the oxidation on the back end

I think the biggest oxidation hit early on will be the muting of hop/malt flavor/aroma
A couple weeks/month on you can start tasting the sherry/wet-cardboard(i've never had wet cardboard but definitely the dark sherry flavor after couple months kegged). I would be surprised to have oxidation "flavor" so soon, instead more a loss of hop flavor & aroma.

think the biggest oxidation hit early on will be the muting of hop/malt flavor/aroma
A couple weeks/month on you can start tasting the sherry

@powerpunk5000 what he mentioned is what to look out for especially early on- the beer will still be drinkable just fading flavors. If you've never tasted full on oxidation (or sherry for that matter) you will know it when it happens.

I've completely bailed on using crystal malts in my IPA's because it seems that it lends to oxidation frequently

Oxidation? Did you not burp the keg a few times after sealing it up? That will purge most all the oxygen if you are burping with high psi. Either way IPAs are best fresh

Back