Single to Dual Beer Tower Mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skokott

Reaction score
I have an old DKC445BL kegerator with a 2.5" (not standard 3") tower that comes with it.

I believe it's alumninum but not sure.

I want to get s second line in there. The shank and elbow preclude me putting a second one in at the same height but if I go a little lower I can totally fit it in.

I'm totally not handy though. How would someone with very little tools (above the things every person should have hammer, screwdriver, socket set, drill) go through one of these things?

What power tool would do it and where can I get it done so I don't spend more doing this than buying a new dual tower (~$150 CAD)

Get a step bit from Harbor Freight and it should do the trick. You might want to get a short shank, as I had to in order to put another tap on my single. The other thing you can do is toss it, get some PVC pipe, paint it black or whatever color you want, and use that. Search on here and you will find examples. I ended up doing this and it turned out quite good. Used PVC for the vertical, into a piece of vinyl fence post wrap, where I installed my taps. Put in two but could have easily added 1-2 more. Cheers!

Make sure the step bit goes up to at least 7/8" for a shank.
And you really want to get a shank with an escutcheon meant for a round column mount and a wicked short 90° tail piece.

Like this http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376_17_46_427&products_id=2446

12k03201.jpg

Cheers!

I did this with a 2.5 in tower, so it can be done. But it's an extremely tight fit. Drill a small pilot hole 90 degrees around from the existing hole, and ream it out with a 7/8 in step bit. You'll need to get the beer lines attached and the nuts on loosely on both shanks before you can tighten things down; they will hit each other a bit. I didn't have room for any sort of wrench, just did the best I could by hand. But they work fine.

They make extenders to attach to the top of a tower, but I was never able to find one for a 2.5 in tower.

I also added a second faucet to my 2.5" tower. A bit of a pain in the butt, but worked great. The second faucet went 90 degrees to the left of the stock faucet (you can obviously go either way) and slightly below, mine ended up being about 1/4" lower than the stock shank/faucet. A rather tight fit in the tower but works just fine. I used a bi-metal hole saw of the appropriate size for the shanks that I picked up at Lowes. I think $5 or $6 for the hole saw.

Here is how it looks within the tower itself. Pretty tight, but no issues in the year + I've had it up and running.

IMG_20150801_221233_zpsfqv2pn3u.jpg

IMG_20150801_221253_zpsairulgih.jpg

Back