Single Tier Strut - 3 Vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserpewpew

Reaction score
I recently got 3 - 20 gallon kettles and wanted to build an automated LPG HERMS system. After doing much research on some great builds from this forum, I decided to go with strut to build my stand.

I went with the http://www.strutchannelfittings.com/ Beer Brewing Stand from. However, I had some unique requirements for my stand in terms of size. A quick call to Strut Channel Fittings and I was able to get the right size strut and the best part is that they would cut the odd sized pieces for me!

For the gas control I am using the Honeywell SV9501 with the intermittent pilot light for a BG-14 burner. I am controlling the valve with an Auber 2362, I also have the option to manually light the HLT burner. The RTD Probe is mounted on the output of my HERMS coil. I am measuring the temperature of my Boil Kettle with the Auber 1512A as I am using this kettle for my strike water and when brewing a lot of IPAs with hop stands it is nice to have a quick read accurate temperature. My control box also has switches for both of my pumps.

Received all my strut and getting ready to assemble the stand.
img_9844.jpg

Making sure my measurements are right and the kettles fit on the stand.
img_1855.jpg

Majority of the stand assembled, only a few braces left and then time to mount everything.
img_1856.jpg

Stand built, casters mounted, kettles looking good.
img_1857.jpg

Mounted the burners with simple 90 degree strut brackets
img_1877.jpg

Everything mounted, only thing left to do is trim the pilot light tubing
img_1885.jpg

Burner mounted with intermittent pilot light
img_1887.jpg

Plate chiller mounted below brew kettle
img_1888.jpg

Pumps mounted
img_1890.jpg

Having a beer once the build is done
img_1891.jpg

Overall the build probably took a total of 4-5 hours and a few trips to home depot to solve the problem of mounting everything.

My control box
img_1742.jpg

img_1632.jpg

I used PowerCon connectors for the pump power and for the 24V valve control
img_1897.jpg

img_1900.jpg

Not sure why my pictures were posted sideways but if you view them in a new tab they are normal.

Free tip: know that you will burn the zinc plating off the strut near the burners. You *really* don't want to be breathing in that air when it happens.

Free tip: know that you will burn the zinc plating off the strut near the burners. You *really* don't want to be breathing in that air when it happens.

The top part of the frame is all stainless, only thing galvanized is the 90 degree brackets. I have let the burners burn for about an hour and havent noticed any bad smells (yet)

Yeah you're right I took a look at the website. Cool stuff, wish I had access to that gear up here in Canada.

The top part of the frame is all stainless, only thing galvanized is the 90 degree brackets. I have let the burners burn for about an hour and havent noticed any bad smells (yet)

That is pretty much exactly what I want to do. Mind if I ask what you ordered custom or special that doesn't come in their kit?

That is pretty much exactly what I want to do. Mind if I ask what you ordered custom or special that doesn't come in their kit?

Since my kettles are much larger than a typical keggle, I called and had them adjust the length of the stand. I also added an extra support in the middle where my Mash Tun is since I have a HERMS system and did not require a burner in the middle. I also ordered some casters so I could roll the stand around easily, it is very heavy.

My advice would be to call them and tell them you are interested in the brew stand and work with them around any specific requirements in terms of changing the sizes instead of trying to order separately through the website. The guy I spoke with was very helpful and I am very pleased with the final product. I have 20 brews on it since April and have not had any issues yet.

Back