Single Tier HERMS Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan

Reaction score
I'm designing a single-tier brew rig

• Dual 5.5KW heating elements
  • Dual pump
  • Recirculating HLT (for faster strike)
  • Auto Sparge MLT
  • Counter-flow chiller
  • 15 gallon boil, 10 gallon MLT, 10 gallon HLT.
  • Camlock hoses (purple)
  • 304 Stainless ball-valves, tees & fittings.

In addition to general feedback I'm interested in critique on my plumbing. I took inspiration from Blichmann, Black Heart Brewery, and various members on the board. So while I think this is a pretty standard setup I'm curious if I've made any blunders in my design. My overall goal with this system is to seldom disconnect or move anything and clean in place after each brew.

Thanks!

PMRua1p.jpg

I have found it must be taken apart regularly to total clean it where cam lock and tri-clamp are used to clean effectively

I have mine set up so that pump 1 only handles water. I don't use that set of valves and tees in the middle. I have 3 water hoses and 3 hoses for mashing, transferring to BK, and whirl pooling. I have one hose off the plate chiller to the fermenter (which you do not have listed). I placed my whirlpool port lower. This requires a valve but reduces pump height. I have a valve on the low side of the Herms coil, it's not necessary but I think it's useful. Your tee on the HLT for the water feed is interesting, I fill with a hose but standing there holding it is a waste of time. There are a lot of valves.

By isolating the water side pump and hoses, I have less to clean. I don't worry about those much at all, it's only water going through.

I am not suggesting mine is optimal just different.

What is it that you drew that on? I'm a big whiteboard fan but that's like a TV prop!

Back