Single tier gas question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jafo28

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on building a single tier system in the near future, and had a question I couldn't find the answer to with a search.

I've been brewing all-grain with a homebuilt 3 tier gravity system for the past 3 years, and want to switch over to a single tier system. I am currently using two Bayou Classic SP10's, and would like to incorporate these into the build. I'm planning on buying another burner to match the two I already have, and using black pipe to make a manifold. My question is what to use for flexible line from the manifold to the burners? I've looked through a lot of build threads and see lots of guys using yellow flexible gas lines, but the only ones I can find are only rated to 1/2psi. Sorry, I wanted to use one of the regulators from my SP10, and line to connect the tank to the manifold, these are 20psi. So what do you guys use, and where do you get it?

^ and I will be running high pressure rated propane lines on my low pressure single tier. From what I have read I will regret it and need to switch to the yellow gas lines rated for low pressure. Reason I read was the ID of high pressure is too small to get good BTU's running low pressure. At the time that was all I could find and I was struggling with all the fittings needed to adapt the yellow gas lines to 1/2" on one end and 3/8' at the burners (BG14's)

Put your valve in front of the flex line. There is no way you can build 15 psi between the valve and the burner since the burner is almost zero back pressure.

Why use Flex? Whats wrong with flared soft copper and brass fittings?

If it is a hard mounted burner connecting to a hard mounted black pipe manifold. 1/2" soft copper and flared brass fittings should be fine. Less $ than flex and stronger. maybe even 3/8" for an SP10.

Why use Flex? Whats wrong with flared soft copper and brass fittings?

If it is a hard mounted burner connecting to a hard mounted black pipe manifold. 1/2" soft copper and flared brass fittings should be fine. Less $ than flex and stronger. maybe even 3/8" for an SP10.

I've thought about doing this too. With flex it would be easier to change burner height though. Regarding burner height, I figured on measuring the height to the burner on the assembled SP10.

Back