Single Tier Brew Stands?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duffy,
I am truly sorry for your loss! Brewing beer will help ease your mind. I just completed a Brutus build for 25 gallon system. I have specs, pictures, and wiring hints. I built almost everything.. My email is [email protected] get in contact with me, maybe I can't get you going.. Cheers PJ

First and foremost I am truly sorry for your loss.

As far as the valves and gas parts (i.e. thermocouple, pilot, tubing, etc.) you may want to check out Pex Supply. Here is an example of the valves I am running on my stand for propane (they include an easily replacable part for natural gas conversion) and they are far cheaper than Grainger. They were really good to deal with in my exp. as well. If I can help in any way shoot me a PM.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-VR8200A2124-1-2-24-Vac-Standing-Pilot-Gas-Valve-11585000-p

Thank you so much. PM sent. Never heard of Pex but I'm glad I did..

LTDbrew said:
Brewstands.com is another manufacturer. Or if your handy, 8020 aluminum can be used.

Or rich!

I use 8020 at work. The 1.5" square extrusion is 53 cents an inch!

8020 is great stuff, but man it adds up quick.

Hey guys. Saw this post and thought i would share my dad and i's version of the top tier. Everything here was made from scratch except the center mast and the actual burner. I purchased a bayou burner and built everthing else. Still have 1 more burner to build.

You happen to have the plans for this build...The SWMBO thinks we don't have room for a single tier in the garage, and neither of us can afford a top tier...so this may be a good option for me.

A couple of notes on your parts list.
-To my knowledge you won't be able to use the banjo burners with any automated gas valve that includes a pilot light/thermocouple. The Banjo burners are for high pressure propane and the gas valves like you'd find on a furnace or hot water heater are all for low pressure. You'd need to use a burner like this. Note that I like the banjos due to how quiet they are. The low pressure burner is quite loud. Also The gas valves would need a low pressure regulator in front of them. the adjustable on on your list is for high pressure burners.
-Are you planning on using a lot of whole hops? if not then you probably don't need the false bottom in the boil kettle. Also I don't think you would want the mazimizer to pull from the center of the boil kettle either. That is where all the trub will settle after whirlpooling. I had a friend build me a hop filter like this. I will be using it for the first time tomorrow on a Heady Topper clone.

I would definitely go with the valves at pex over what Granger has. A lot cheaper. The valve includes the thermocouple so you would need a pilot burner, a 24v transformer, and the pilot tubing to supply gas for the pilot from the gas valve to the pilot burner.

1/4" x 5' Pilot Burner Tubing w/ Fittings
SKU: 11-293Brand: Robertshaw
$6.65

Honeywell Q314A6094 Pilot Burner
SKU: Q314A6094Brand: Honeywell
$21.95

1/2", 24 Vac Standing Pilot Gas Valve
SKU: VR8200A2124Brand: Honeywell
$72.95

Transformer, 40VA, 60 Hz, 120V Primary, 24V Secondary, Foot Mount
SKU: 90-T40F1Brand: White Rodgers
$8.95

Note 1: there are potentially cheaper ways of creating a controlled burner using Asco valves but I personally went for standard burner valves for the safety they provide with the thermocouple. I know that others have rigged up multiple temp controllers, one to a thermocouple and one to an asco valve to add back that safety. That is what you'd need to do if you wanted to use the banjo burners. Let me know if you want me to dig a bit harder to see if I can find some more info on this. I couldn't specifically find the example I was looking for...

Note 2: I have not used the burner under my mash tun in years. Whenever I did I got bubbles in the pump and it would start cavitating. I heat my water in the HLT and transfer it in. Although I don't have temp control on my MLT burner... but still, I don't know if I would add that burner if I were building it today. I'm not sure what your process is like but you could certainly shave some cost by not automating the MLT or boil kettle burners.

Note 3: If I were doing it over again I would probably run a RIMS system instead of HERMS. I think that you would have a lot tighter control over temps. In fact I will likely upgrade at some point. It hasn't really been a huge issue to this point but I feel it would be better. Also there are some pre-built RIMS chambers on the market now that would make the build pretty easy. Options include these at Brewers Hardware and the Blichmann RIMS rocket which I saw at NHC but do not see yet on his website.

Brewsteel is out of business but thanks for the repost. Those are sweet stands.

my frustration from trying to get a new system stems from the fact that most guys tell you that their system is the best and then go into why.

Crap

I want a system that works from my years of experience

and is compact

and brews the amount I want

so..................................................................

I bought a welder and just built one

bottom line is wat we first start up with, and what we end up wanting once we work with these systems are totally different and each brewer has his own ideas

none of us have anything close to what say, Bud, Miller, Heineken or Pacifico have. We are so small we have the ability to totally customize our setups tp our favorite styles of beer.

and that is what makes home brewing so exciting, doing it our way based on our experience

I applaud each person who designs, builds, and then modifies his own system to his needs

Abetterbrewstand.com is still in business i just got a stand from them a month ago. Andy was very helpful and he makes a kick ass stand. I saw one of ruby streets in action and not only did it look like it would collapse under the weight of the mash ton the paint they use started to melt off. Let me know if u want more info on my stand.

(>")> budlight can kiss my hops <("<)

Bill, you are correct in that the Honeywell valves are low pressure 11" water column and if it is a situation where the burners aren't bought yet it may be easier to pick another burner. However, I believe if the BG14 is desired it can be run at low pressure if the gas orifice is drilled out or replaced with something like this:
https://www.brewershardware.com/Valve-and-LPG-Orifice-for-BURN10.html
This would convert it over to low pressure (for propane) and give an amount of flame control with the built in valve. You are definitely correct in that you either need a low pressure regulator of some type coming off the fuel source (presumably a tank in a propane setup) for the Honeywells or do what I did on my stand, albeit I have jet burners. I have a higher psi regulator with needle valve coming off the tank into the gas manifold on the stand. The manifold then branches off to the HLT burner which is controlled by a Honeywell valve. Before the Honeywell though, is it's own individual low pressure (11" water column) regulator. The mash tun is the same setup. The boil kettle is not on any automation and runs on the higher pressure that is in the gas manifold. I wanted to make sure that the main gas manifold had enough pressure in it to run all three burners if I wanted to and this setup does this very well.

I used the BG14 burners on my rig with Honeywell gas valves. I just drilled out the orifice and they work great. You can check out my set up in my signature.

Good luck.

I tore my plans up and started from scratch. I separated my work into categories like u said. Stand, electric, gas, burners. The stand is being built as we speak. I went with metal supermarkets.com and got all the cuts done with .120" 11ga. brushed stainless steel for $350. The AVS Fabrication in Orland park is going to weld it for $150-$200. So it was a little more than I wanted but it's stainless and much thicker steel.

I think I gave up on automating all 3 burners. I still want to use BG14 burners. (2 low pressure at 100k btu and the boil kettle at 220k btu. Haven't figured out how to do it yet but it know it's possible.

As for the panel. I would like to automate the burners for the HLT and mlt. And if possible have a love controller tell me my temp in the boil kettle. And automate the pumps. The ranco controls are def. out. The megapot 1.2 30 gallon kettles are out! I went to order the. On the phone and they told me they were weld less. Total deal breaker. Maybe the 26 gallon hd more beer kettles or the brewers hardware 30 gallon or possibly a 45 gallon concord kettle and have the fittings welded by AVS. Like I said before.. This is in honor of my son passing. I would rather take my time and have this be the baddest ass brew stand ever than skimp on anything. There are so many people on here that have reached out and emailed me to help. Cannot thank you all enough. From the bottom of my heart.

I have been researching btu ratings for the amount or gallons to heat. If I went low pressure would it boil roughly 35 gallons at 100,000 btu. Gas and burners is not my strong suit. I want to do this right tho. Ebrewsupply.com hasn't answered any of my emails asking about there products. I really need a parts list for the burners / orifice / regulators / controllers to make my panel.

I'm making progress tho. My stand should be here soon. Got the casters on order and caster tube inserts for 2"x2" tube. The brewershardware.com windshield mounts 12" are on back order till mid February so I have to wait on that. Still need to figure out the regulator. If I go low pressure of the mlt, HLT in order to automate and high pressure on the bk I need to research this more. I wish I could find a parts list. I spend so many hours researching forum threads SWMBO is ready to kick my butt..

Sorry I'm rambling.. Kids are all asleep and SWMBO is asleep. It's dads only time to reach brutus. Lol. Any thought? Many many thanks to everyone. I'm going to try to update my parts list today or tomorrow. Gotta paint a nursery (another baby on the way! Omg.. Lol) I'll be googling love control panel parts lists with Honeywell valves for a few hours. Hopefully I find something good. Peace,

Duff-Daddy

Parts list

Here's what I've planned so far: (parts list)

Stainless Steel from MetalSupermearkets.com $400 cash
Stainless Steel Type 304 (.120 thick) dimensions in pic below (W76"xH28"xD21")
Welded by AVS Fabrication Orland Park, IL $150-$200
3 Banjo BG14 Cast Iron Burners $49.99/each + shipping homebrewing.org
3- 12" Heat Shield and Burner Mount from BrewersHardware.com $26/each (back order 2/15)
4 Heavy Duty Casters: 1-3343 3x1-1/4 THREADED STEM CASTER W/BRAKE $3.99/each (275lbs/each) $15.96 + $11.35 shipping= $27.31 shipped surpluscenter.com
5- 1/2"-13 threaded tube inserts jwwinco.com $4.01/each free shipping $20.04.
3- 26 Heavy Duty Kettles from MoreBeer.com $299/each ?
2- False Bottoms MT and BK $109/each ?
Kettle Diverter for Boil Kettle MoreBeer.com $15.99
or..
3- 45 gallon Concord stainless Steel Kettles (no fittings - eBay) ?
Ultimate Sparge Arm from MoreBeer.com $149
Heat Exchanger - (HERMS) Convoluted Copper from MoreBeer.com $189
2- March Pumps High Flow w SS ball valves MoreBeer.com $199/each ?
Or:
2- SS Chugger Pumps: BrewersHardware.com $138/each (no valves) ?
Weldless Stainless Steel Whirlpool Arm MoreBeer.com $37.95
Regulator - Adjustable Pressure MoreBeer.com $26.95 (high or low pressure idk yet) ?
3- 8" Heat-Shielded 1/2" MNPT Stainless Steel Thermowell (MT, HLT, BK) BrewersHardware.com $27.95/each
2 or 3 Wired Love Digital Temperature Controllers (HLT,MT maybe Boil Kettle?) ?
3- VR8300A3500 - Honeywell 24v 190K BTU Gas Valve - $233 for 3 at PexSupply.com ?
3- H06E-018 - White Rodgers Thermocouple 18" - $3.95/ each PexSupply.com ?
3- Q314A6102 - Honeywell Pilot tip-k, 8-L, P-F - $22.62/each PexSupply.com ?
3?- 11-293 - Robert Shaw Pilot Tubing 60" - $19.35 for 3 at PexSupply.com ?
3- 90T40F3 - White Rodgers 24v Transformer - $8.25/each PexSupply.com ?

^?= not sure yet, open to suggestions..

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389607714.831849.jpg

Updated Parts list (1-12-14)

Here's what I've planned so far: (parts list)

Stainless Steel from MetalSupermearkets.com $400 cash
Stainless Steel Type 304 (.120 thick) dimensions in pic below (W76"xH28"xD21")
Welded by AVS Fabrication Orland Park, IL $150-$200
3 Banjo BG14 Cast Iron Burners $49.99/each + shipping homebrewing.org
3- 12" Heat Shield and Burner Mount from BrewersHardware.com $26/each (back order 2/15)
4 Heavy Duty Casters: 1-3343 3x1-1/4 THREADED STEM CASTER W/BRAKE $3.99/each (275lbs/each) $15.96 + $11.35 shipping= $27.31 shipped surpluscenter.com
5- 1/2"-13 threaded tube inserts jwwinco.com $4.01/each free shipping $20.04.
3- 26 Heavy Duty Kettles from MoreBeer.com $299/each ?
2- False Bottoms MT and BK $109/each ?
or..
3- 45 gallon Concord stainless Steel Kettles (no fittings - eBay) ?
Ultimate Sparge Arm from MoreBeer.com $149
2- March Pumps High Flow w SS ball valves MoreBeer.com $199/each ?
Or:
2- SS Chugger Pumps: BrewersHardware.com $138/each (no valves) ?
Weldless Stainless Steel Whirlpool Arm MoreBeer.com $37.95
Regulator - Adjustable Pressure MoreBeer.com $26.95 (high or low pressure idk yet) ?
3- 8" Heat-Shielded 1/2" MNPT Stainless Steel Thermowell (MT, HLT, BK) BrewersHardware.com $27.95/each
2 or 3 Wired Love Digital Temperature Controllers (HLT,MT maybe Boil Kettle?) ?
3- VR8300A3500 - Honeywell 24v 190K BTU Gas Valve - $233 for 3 at PexSupply.com ?
3- H06E-018 - White Rodgers Thermocouple 18" - $3.95/ each PexSupply.com ?
3- Q314A6102 - Honeywell Pilot tip-k, 8-L, P-F - $22.62/each PexSupply.com ?
3?- 11-293 - Robert Shaw Pilot Tubing 60" - $19.35 for 3 at PexSupply.com ?
3- 90T40F3 - White Rodgers 24v Transformer - $8.25/each PexSupply.com ?

I used the BG14 burners on my rig with Honeywell gas valves. I just drilled out the orifice and they work great. You can check out my set up in my signature.

Good luck.

I couldn't got the link to work to your build page.. Do you have a link you could post? Are your bg14 burners running low pressure or high pressure? Thanks for the input. Much appreciated..

I couldn't got the link to work to your build page.. Do you have a link you could post? Are your bg14 burners running low pressure or high pressure? Thanks for the input. Much appreciated..

Here are the links to both of my builds. Using the Honeywell gas valve you have to drill out the orifices to convert the burners to low pressure. It was very easy to do.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/first-sigle-tier-brew-rig-290115/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f235/control-panel-build-rig-upgrade-429682/

Dropped off the precut .120" Stainless Steel at the welders today.. Should be welded in a couple days. I can't wait.. The burner mounts/windshields from BrewersHardware are on back order till 2/15. And the welder can't weld the gussets till I have them to mount the bg14 burners. Any ideas? I had a little time today to update my parts list. Took most of everyone's suggestions. Have a few more emails to go thru before it's final. I guess different Honeywell valves come with the thermocouples. But I haven't had time to compare the 2 models. The thermocouples aren't very expensive. And I'm more concerned about the burners getting welded. Here's my updated parts list: keep the suggestions coming.. You guys are the best. This is getting expensive! Lol..

Stand Parts:
- Stainless Steel from MetalSupermarkets.com $400 cash.
- Stainless Steel Type 304 (.120 thick) 11 Gauge. Dimensions in pic below (W76"xH28"xD21")
Welded by AVS Fabrication Orland Park, IL (AVS-Fabrication.com) $150-$200.
(4) Heavy Duty Casters: 1-3343 3x1-1/4 THREADED STEM CASTER W/BRAKE $3.99/each (275lbs/each) $15.96 + $11.35 shipping= $27.31 shipped surpluscenter.com
(5) 1/2"-13 Threaded Tube inserts Part# 8TPTD Jwwinco.com $4.04/each free shipping $20.20.

Burners:
(3) Banjo BG14 Cast Iron Burners $49.99/each + shipping homebrewing.org (2) Low Pressure for 'HLT & MLT' and (1) High Pressure for the Boil Kettle.
(3) 12" Heat Shield and Burner Mount from BrewersHardware.com $26/each (back order 2/15)

Gas System:
Adjustable Pressure Regulator MoreBeer.com $26.95 (High Pressure BK)
(2) Low Pressure Regulators (HLT &MLT) part#7383 NorthernBrewer.com
(2) Low Pressure Gas Orifices BG14 (HLT& MLT) sku: BURN10VLPG $7/ea. BrewersHardware

Kettles:
(3) 26 gallon Heavy Duty Kettles (HLT, MLT, BK) from MoreBeer.com $299/each ?
26 gallon False Bottom MLT from MoreBeer.com $109 ?
or..
(3) 45 gallon Stainless Steel Kettles $275/each BrewersHardware (weldless)

Kettle Parts:
(1) Ultimate Sparge Arm from MoreBeer.com $149
(3) 8" Heat-Shielded 1/2" MNPT Stainless Steel Thermowells (HLT, MLT, BK) BrewersHardware.com $27.95/each
(1) Weldless Stainless Steel Whirlpool Arm MoreBeer.com $37.95

Pumps:
(2) March Pumps High Flow w SS ball valves MoreBeer.com $199/each ?
or..
(2) SS Chugger Pumps: BrewersHardware.com $138/each (no valves) ?

Control Panel:
(2) Love or Auber PID Controllers (HLT & MLT) ?
(2) VR8300A3500 Honeywell 24v 190K BTU Gas Valve $80.75/each: $161.50 PexSupply.com?
(2) H06E-018 - White Rodgers Thermocouple 18" - $3.95/ each PexSupply.com ?
(2) Q314A6102 - Honeywell Pilot tip-k, 8-L, P-F - $22.62/each PexSupply.com ?
(2) 11-293 - Robert Shaw Pilot Tubing 1/4" x 60" w/ fittings $6.65/each $13.30 PexSupply.com ?
(2) 90T40F3 - White Rodgers 24v Transformer - $8.25/each PexSupply.com ?

*The Control Panel has been the most confusing part. Looking into Auber Instruments..

Has anyone used Auber Instruments to build a panel instead of using Love PIDs? I'm trying to finalize a parts list for my control panel.. Any thoughts or suggestions on a parts list for a control panel would be much appreciated.. I heard I can get away using one 24V transformer to power both Honeywell valves thanks to WildBill.. Here's my link to Aubers Forum:

http://www.auberins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1302&sid=9266e88accef9ad83a0f5330a5511f7d

Casters and caster inserts got delivered today. Can't wait for the welder to call and say I can pickup the stand..

Brewers hardware BG14 windshield/mounts are back ordered till 2/15.. Anyone know of another way to mount the burners. I found 3.5" is the correct mount height for them.

I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering the 45 gallon kettles from brewers hardware as long as AVS Fabrication can sanitary TIG weld the ball valve for the thermowells and false bottom. Time will tell.. Pics coming soon!

It's UNI-STRUT I built my single tier with it. I live on the coast and it has sat outside in the salt air for 5+ years. Fires up everytime works great. My SRUT pieces came from a city dump so I got out cheap. My only advice is to elevate your sparge water keggle so you can gravity feed.

There is a person on here that actually will build the strand stands to your order, or you can have him customer order one for you from his website here:

Strut Stands

He also started a thread on here:

My Weldless Build With 1 5/8" Strut

I actually just ordered a stand from him that he will ship me a "kit" and I will assemble it myself!

3%20station%20single%20tier%20stand.JPG

The casters arrived today so I installed the caster inserts and leveled out the new wheels.. The stand weighs a ton and now it glides around on ball bearing casters. Very nice! Also I ordered the Bayou BG14 burners from Overstock.com and got all 3 burners with the orifices for $116 total out the door. $38/each with no tax and free shipping.. they will arrive on Wednesday. The burner mounts/windshields from BrewersHardware.com are on back order till 2/15, so I need to find out a way to fabricate these burners centered in an 18" x 21" opening.. tried to take a picture of the stand on the casters but it came out too dark. I'll post one tomorrow :)

Back