Single Tier Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyd

Reaction score
Single tier stand I have been building. This one will have 2 BG-12 burners.

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3142.JPG

Did some testing today. 53 min to bring 10 gallons to a boil from 68 degrees. Burned 2.6 lbs of propane.

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg

Today's afternoon project was putting together the HERMS system and doing some testing. Used 5 gallons in the HLT and 5 gallons in the mash tun for the tests. With the HLT 25 degrees warmer than the MLT it took 14 min to raise the temperature 10 degrees in the MLT. With it 40 degrees warmer it took 6 min. At 60 degrees warmer it took 3.5 min to raise it 10 degrees. At 60 degrees difference the controller over shot the set temperature by one degree. I think it will work well. Just need to build a mounting bracket and cut a set of hoses to length to clean up the install. The mash tun is constantly recirculated by one pump to keep the temperature even. The controller circulates hot water with the second pump through the copper coil till it reaches the set temperature.

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

Are the pumps inside the metal box? In working on a similar idea, but with just one pump and a couple electronic switched valves. Where are the pumps? And what are your thoughts about wort trapped in the coil when heating isn't needed?

The 2 pumps are in the box. The coil is in the mash tun. Hot water circulates inside the coil if the mash temperature falls below the set point. The mash is recirculated constantly by the other pump.

image.jpg

Nice idea. I'm curious to see how this works out for you with a grain bed on it. Is going with a different approach, but might have to wait and see how things work for you.

Nice idea. I'm curious to see how this works out for you with a grain bed on it. Is going with a different approach, but might have to wait and see how things work for you.
My goal is to have the coil sit a couple inches above the grain bed. I will probably have to cut some length off the copper tubes and use longer silicone tubes to make the coil depth more adjustable. I used this approach because I do not like the idea of circulating wort through the inside of a coil that I can not visually inspect for cleanliness. I also don't like the idea of of letting the wort set in a coil that the temperatures go higher than I want them to.
Here is the link to my budget HERMS thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=576741

Wow, it's gonna take me a while to figure out how in the world this thing works but I'll shoot to do so.

Back