Single Hop Columbus IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there folks!

I was planning to do a west coast IPA here using columbus hops only. I've been messing arround with the recipe and this is what it looks right now:

Malts:

7kg 2-row Pale malt (84,8%)
0,5kg Munich Malt (6,1%)
0,5kg Carapils (6.1%)
0,25kg Crystal 15L (3,0%)

Hops:

Columbus 20g 20 min ~15 IBUs
Columbus 40g 15 min ~25 IBUs
Columbus 40g 10 min ~18 IBUs
Columbus 40g 5 min ~10 IBUs
Columbus 40g Flameout ~ 0 IBUs
Columbus 100g Double Dry Hopping 3 days each

Yeast:
Safeale S-04

Est OG: 1,073
Bitterness: 67 IBUs
ESTABV: 7,4%

Mash is supposed to be at 149F then mashout.

What do you guys think about this? Is this high amount of kettle hops going to impart any vegetable tastes in my beer?

Cheers

I love Columbus. The only thing I would change is I would use US-05 or WLP090 since you're doing a west coast style IPA. Also be sure to use some CaSO4 in the water

I wouldn't worry about any vegetal taste; I think that's a myth started by Gordon Strong ;) . What size is your batch? 7 gallons? I agree you need a more neutral yeast for a west coast IPA... US05 or Nottingham fermented cool in a pinch. WLP090 is great stuff.

Looks awesome to me. I wouldn't worry at all about vegetal tastes. IMO, you really only pick those up with too much time on contact, i.e., way too long in dry hopping.

Welcome aboard.
I like Columbus hops, your grain bill looks good.

Thanks dude. The grain bill in indeed very good. Did a APA with the same proportions but in a smaller scale and it was awesome, really let the hops shine.

I love Columbus. The only thing I would change is I would use US-05 or WLP090 since you're doing a west coast style IPA. Also be sure to use some CaSO4 in the water

I love columbus too , but I've heard it could come with a onion/garlic smell that I've never felt before when using this hops.

Regarding the yeast, thanks for the advice man, but the S-04 is actually a test for me to get a better knowledge of it's flavours and aromas. I am aware that US-05 will give me a much cleaner profile, but I wanna give this a try, considering I've been using US-05 for a while to brew my APAs and AIPAs. Some things that made me want to try this yeast in such a beer were the recipes and brewing techniques from Firestone Walker and Stone Brewing. Apparently, they use a clean/lightly estery english strain in Union Jack/Stone IPA. For Union Jack, they mash at low temperatures (145.5F - 147F). This actually made me consider doing a mash at this range, but I've never mashed this low before.

I'm going to target ~100 ppm Ca, ~250 ppm SO4 and ~50 ppm Cl.

I wouldn't worry about any vegetal taste; I think that's a myth started by Gordon Strong ;) . What size is your batch? 7 gallons? I agree you need a more neutral yeast for a west coast IPA... US05 or Nottingham fermented cool in a pinch. WLP090 is great stuff.

Damn you gordon hahaha. It's 5 gallons, but my efficiency is low. Like I said, I want to give this yeast a try at this conditions, but thanks for the advice. I am really curious about WLP090, and I'll give this a shot as soon as I can get my hand into one of those.

Looks awesome to me. I wouldn't worry at all about vegetal tastes. IMO, you really only pick those up with too much time on contact, i.e., way too long in dry hopping.

That's great man. I just did a test batch that went under 14 days of dry hops. Blend of cascade and el dorado. Tastes good, but with a really awful harsh and astringent bitterness, so I know what you mean, and that's what I was afraid of.

I decided to do this brew , should be done in mid november. I'll come here to post the results and share. Thanks y'all once again.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back