Single bottle infections or something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGowls

Reaction score
On my last batch of beer (english ipa) bout 4-5 of the bottles were gushers when I opened them. These bottles had an overly sweet taste with a sour aftertaste to them, the other bottles tasted fine and didnt have any off tastes to them. On the brew I started drinking a few weeks ago (belgian tripel) everything tasted fine until tonight where two of the bottles had the sour and overly sweet taste. All of the bottles get a oxiclean bath and a soak in sanitize solution and a quick scrub with the bottle brush. Could it be possible that there are some single bottle infections still or are certain bottles just not carbing up and conditioning properly?

Sounds like a bad mix of priming sugar at bottling time to me.

Describe your bottling/priming procedure. You may need to just make sure the priming sugar solution is more evenly distributed next time.

You wouldn't have individual bottle infections unless you have a poor cleaning/sanatizing procedure. Describe how you cleaned and sanatized your bottles as well.

For bottling and priming, I boil the priming sugar and cool it down and pour it to my bottling bucket and then siphon my beer into the bucket giving it a gentle swirl to mix it up. For my cleaning/sanatizing, I soak my bottles in warm water and oxiclean and then give them a quick scrub with a bottle brush before rinsing them off. While I bottle, I submerge the bottles in starsan and take them out as they are needed to bottle.

Recipe was 7 lbs Briess pilsen dme, .5 lb dingemann aromatic malt, 3 oz biscuit malt, 2 lb clear candi syrup. 2 oz of sterling hops and an oz of saaz hops. sg was 1.081 with a fg of 1.010

Back